Lathes

I was running a lathe at work. I was working on a steel pipe, my job was to cut a 30 degree bevel on one end. The whole chuck came off with the pipe still locked in place. It hit me in the left arm,chest,throat and face. Could have took my life. The chuck plus the pipe totaled in weight at about 150lbs. Always be cautious running any machinery, it?s all dangerous.

Reply to
MF_BOSS

MF_BOSS on Sat,

05 May 2018 03:44:03 GMT typed in rec.woodworking the following:

As the saying goes - those safety regulations are written in blood. Which is to say enough people tried "it", and were "lucky" until someone got killed.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

MF_BOSS wrote in news:7M9HC.181021$ snipped-for-privacy@fx22.am:

Have you figured out what caused it?

I've seen my Taig unscrew the chuck if the tool bit is still in the work when the motor is shut off.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Scary scary. Glad you're ok.

Reply to
Michael

Like the others, glad you were not seriously injured. It can happen so qu ickly.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Threaded on chuck? And cutting the far side in reverse? shame shame ....

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I'm also wondering how this happened. Did the spindle break and thus the w hole spindle, chuck and pipe were loose? Or did you turn the spindle in re verse and cut on the off side, thus untightening the chuck as you cut? Nor mally chucks are screwed onto the spindle so that when cutting, you are tig htening the chuck onto the spindle as you cut. Kind of like if you put a n ut onto a bolt and then always turned the nut to the right when handling th e bolt/nut. You are always tightening the nut onto the bolt. It can't loo sen. But if the spindle broke, and the spindle, chuck, pipe were all in th e air, then yeah things can get dangerous.

Reply to
russellseaton1