Lathe turned burl desk

A pretty bizarre piece of furniture/art, but a hell of a feat of woodworking.

RicodJour

"Because I can." seems to be the ONLY explanation for why anyone would take a BIG piece of nice burl that large and use it THAT way. To me, turning a cowboy hat out of wood seems to be a waste of wood and time but this, to me borders on being a sin. When you consider how much veneer that piece could've been - and all the pieces that veneer could have been used for - this piece seems such a waste. Ranks up there with Garry/Gary Knox Bennett's 3" thick components claro walnut ugly "desk" in the Misuse of Fine Wood Competition.

Sad.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

And I wonder if a lathe was used at all. Looks more like a router was used.

Reply to
Leon