Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

I painted over a bathroom cabinet w/ a formica finish after sanding the formica and painting a primer coat to help with adhesion. I used Behr Premium Plus Int/Ext Gloss Enamel. The color and finish look great, but even after 6 weeks (getting close to 8 weeks) I have the same problem. Stuff seems to stick a little before releasing. The paint is holding well, but that tack is aggravating.

Reply to
Gene

...snip...

...snip...

I know this thread is 7 years old, but I gotta ask...

Does anyone know of any objects that don't have a "definite weight"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A greeting card. ;)

Reply to
Bill

Color me slow. I don't get it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A greeting card is unlikely to mar the surface. It's not a joke, I'm just explaining to you what the OP meant! Of course, if the greeting card hasn't been moved after 7 years there may be damage from the sun... Don't forget, you brought it up, not me.

Reply to
Bill

I see your point, however, I was not asking about objects that wouldn't mar the surface. I was commenting on the use of the word "definite" in the ema il the OP recieved.

As far as I know, all objects (even the lowly greeting card) have a "defini te" weight. Of course, one could argue that getting card might weigh one am ount when new, then weigh a different amount once it is signed since the in k has weight, but as long as the object is described properly (a signed gre eting card) it has a "definite weight".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Definite weight could mean definitely distant from weight 0. Think of it as a colloquialism. Mildly amusing is that if it were not for gravity, you wouldn't have to wait as their would be no weight--so you would have wait 0.

Reply to
Bill

You really have to go with a top of the line premium latex paint if you want it to not "stick" to items placed on or against it. Especially in a humid environment. Alternatively an Alkyd oil based paint would be a better choice, in a good brand also.

Reply to
Leon

replying to schooner, Rose Duck wrote: roseduck

Reply to
Rose Duck

replying to schooner, Marsha wrote: I have used True Value Easy Care and Weatherall paint for 30 years and have always sworn by it. The last 10 years or so I have wanted deeper more jewel-tone colors. I have a desk I painted over a year ago with a deep jewel-tone Raspberry Sunset." It is dry to touch finally, but is still tacky if something is put on it. I think that it is my fault-I had a contractor tell me you could second coat even if tacky. I don't think so! My wall I painted 6 days ago is on the same order. Deep maroon/raspberry. "Recoat 6 hrs." I waited over 14 hrs, didn't check the wall after all that time, and second coated half of it. BAD! I can't believe I didn't check. Has been raining, but I have had a fan going for 4 days. The one coat is still tacky, but less than the second coated part. Dark paint. Fan is still going, but I will try more heat-our thermostat is usually set at 62 degrees. PLEASE HELP!!

Reply to
Marsha

Paints are either "blocking" or "non-blocking". Generally speaking stuff sticks to "blocking" paints, it doesn't stick to "non-blocking". For shelves, tables, or anything where stuff is going to be pressed against the paint for a long period of time you want a non-blocking paint.

Your desk you may be able to salvage with a couple of coats of clear urethane. If it's still sticking to stuff after that dries though you probably have to strip it and start over and this time go to a real paint store and tell then what you're going to use it on.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No one should reply to any of these posts that have that renegade thieving stealer of Usenet post to pad his illegal scam site.

Reply to
anon

I don't see any interior paints on their site. It appears to be all exterior paints. Exterior paints do not harden. They remain flexible to expand and contract with the weather. So that may feel tacky to you, since it's not hard, like an interior grade. Not 100% sure, but that's what I think is happening. The same occurrs with Spar urethane, it always feels a little rubbery (tacky) indoors, but is fine outdoors.

Reply to
woodchucker

Got that right. I've got some bookcases in the train room that I painted "Pullman Green". After approx. 12-15 years, they still act sticky if something sits on for a long time. Used to be a day, now it takes about a week.

Reply to
Trenbidia

replying to J. Clarke, Lorraine wrote: Painted my deck with a latex paint twice cause first time I ended in evening thought it was to cold, which was why I got sticky paint. Do I redid it on a warm day same thing happen . I'm out of paint love the color it was custom. What to do?

Reply to
Lorraine

replying to JGS, Lorraine Ruscher wrote: This is the second time I painted my deck with latex paint .first time ended in the evening and it got alittle chilly. It has been tacky and the paint came off under chairs.. I repaint it was very warm and it's still tacky love the color it was custom have no more please help having party tomorrow.

Reply to
Lorraine Ruscher

You want a "blocking" paint. A lot of latex paint never really "dries". A "blocking" paint will cure as a solid and you won't have that problem. Ask someone at a real paint store for paint for the specific application.

BTW, paint isn't the best idea for a deck.

Reply to
krw

replying to schooner, Jerid wrote: I have learned 2 things:

1) Always opt for the more expensive level of paint. The cheaper paints cost you more in the long and the short as it will take up to 4 coats of the cheap paint as opposed to one coat of the more expensive paint. As far as durability, the more expensive paint will last much longer (less times you need to touch up or repaint). Also, the cheaper paints seem to just scratch off. 2) Always go for an exterior enamel, even for interior. It's much more durable and it will actually dry! In summary, you may sneer at paying $40 / gal for the good stuff, but you will spend much less time painting and much more time enjoying the finish product!
Reply to
Jerid

Agree with most but an exterior enamel will not necessarily dry to a hard non sticky finish. You need an oil based enamel, interior is fine.

Reply to
Leon

replying to dadiOH, Patsy wrote: Months after finishing a shelving unit with polycrylic after painting with latex paint the item is still tacky. Items on the shelves stick slightly so I keep moving them a bit every once in awhile while waiting for the stickiness to go away, if it ever does.

Reply to
Patsy