OT - FS, Book

Thought I'd give you guys first crack at this. I'd been searching for a copy of the book "SINGLE SHOT ACTIONS Their Design And Construction", by Frank & Mark deHaas, father and son. The book has long been out of print. I finally communicated personally with Mark deHaas, to see if I could somehow obtain a copy (Frank has passed). He did not have any copies, and informed me that the family no longer owns the copyright, the publisher has it now, but he said the publisher refuses to re-publish. So I kept on searching on line. I found one gun book site that had a copy listed for around $285. A bit pricey for me. Later I did run across a copy and got that one. However, my interests have shifted, and I no longer am interested in keeping this book.

So, I'll part with it for $110, which includes postage. The book is in excellent condition, is autographed by Frank deHaas, no pages torn or dogeared. Lots of pictures and drawingws. If you really have an interest in single-shot rifle you won't need a description of the contents. If you DO need a description of the content, I'm not going to spend the time doing that, look it up on the internet. I'll ship immediately (within a day or two) upon receipt of a cashier's check, or money order. Personal checks will have to clear before shipment, say about two weeks. First response to me, by e-mail, gets it - if that falls thru, second response, and so on. If you're in the Raleith-Smithfield area, or close, I may be talked into a swap, or partial-swap, but don't count on it.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

JOAT, I have to wonder how the publisher got the copyright. Something many one-time writers forget is that the copyright can be valuable, and should, if possible be retained. I wonder why the publisher won't reprint, too. He could easily send the art to China and sell the book for half what the original sold for, in this day and age.

Can you post here or email me the publisher's name. I know, I know. I'm being a pain in the ass, but I am curious to see just what the outfit is like, if I can find it. charliediy @ gmail . com

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
LRod

Tue, Apr 1, 2008, 12:11pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Charlie=A0Self) doth queryeth: JOAT, I have to wonder how the publisher got the copyright. Something many one-time writers forget is that the copyright can be valuable, and should, if possible be retained. I wonder why the publisher won't reprint, too. He could easily send the art to China and sell the book for half what the original sold for, in this day and age. Can you post here or email me the publisher's name. I know, I know. I'm being a pain in the ass, but I am curious to see just what the outfit is like, if I can find it. charliediy @ gmail . com

Yup. Wondered myself. So I asked. Didn't get a definitive answer Frank de Haas wasn't a first-time author, he worte maybe a dozen books or more. I've got several.. In the front of the book it shows the publisher listed for copyright along with Frank de Haas. Or, at least who I believe is the publisher, Lloyd de Vore. Hmm, the copyright symbol is in front of his hane, but not in front of Frank de Haas's name, don't kow if that meansshared or not. I think he took over ownership of the copyright when Frank de Haas died, I don't know if there was any money at issue or not. Seems to me I might have contacted the publishing company and asked if they were going to re-publish - if so don't recall the reason, but didn't want to be bothered springs to mind. If I recall right there were only about 1,000 copies printed in the first place. Oh yeah, it's a hardback book. It's been quite awhile since I was afer the info, and nothing to make it stick out, so won't guarantee all of this, but think it's so.

Or, the publisher might have just been mad about something, and when he got the copyright, decided he wouldn't republish, or give up the copyright.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Tue, Apr 1, 2008, 8:00pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail-dot-.com (LRod) doth mumble: Send him an email.

He could have, he has been on my list of peope welcome to do just that, for a lonnng time - and well knows that, but this time he chose not to. LRod, LRod, nope, not on the list.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Yawn. Doesn't matter. It'll never be tested.

Reply to
LRod

Nearlyst ten out of ten UseNet spammers post off-topic for sale articles.

If Clinton is half as nasty to 'terrorists' as she is to her political rivals, they surely do NOT want her to be president.

Bin Laden bombed the Cole in 2000 because he preferred GWB over Gore. Bin Laden released a tape criticizing in Oct/Nov 2004 because he preferred GWB over Kerry.

Bin Laden will act again shortly before the 2008 election if he prefers Clinton, and not if he prefers McCain.

I don't have a problem with JOAT, except for his off-topic articles. People who post off-topic articles with "OT" in the subject line are the same people who park int he fire lane with their four-ways flashing.

Here are four ways to get the copyrights to anything. Create an original work in a form fixed in a tangible medium, have an employee do the same in the course of his/her employment for you, receive the copyrights as a gift, or buy them from the previous owner. I can't think of any more offhand.

I would assume that in this case the publisher bought the copyrights from the authors.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt