Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

It won't.

You should have used a non-blocking paint to begin with. Might not be a way to fix it now short of stripping it down and starting over.

Reply to
J. Clarke
*_What if i add water to the paint?
Reply to
George Sandoval Jr

I painted my kitchen cabinets which one we bought the house they said was f airly new and it was painted over God knows what plywood and then painted l ike it had a wood texture. it was much too dark for tiny kitchen so I paint ed the upper cabinets in a white oil-based paint and they are fine. Other t han a couple of chips from somebody slamming stuff into them, they are wash able and still look beautiful and this is over 20 years ago. I got lazy bec ause I was pregnant and did the bottom cabinets with the same color but in latex paint. It is still tacky! When I say tacky, it's disgusting to touch any harder to clean because it takes some of the latex and peels it back. I am in no financial position to place my kitchen cabinets and I need to get this latex stuff off of them. I even use my fingernail when I'm sitting he re watching TV in my kitchen and peel what I can peel. What can I do to get this crap off of the cabinets and then prepare them for another painting w ith oil paint?

Reply to
babsybutler

[...]

Talk to the paint store and e ither repaint with oil based or buy top quality late x based. Cheaper latex paints tend to always feel lik e soft plastic.

Reply to
Leon

I don't know if it's recommended but I once solved the problem by putting a coat of poly over it. I figured it was a lost cause so might as well try something. I couldn't make it worse. It worked quite well but I may have just gotten lucky.

Reply to
krw

Strip them with a citrus based stripper. If the latex never bonded in the first place, it'll come off real easy.

Depending on how much is stripped off, you can prime with an oil based primer or use Benjamin Moore Advance Primer. If you aren't sure which, take a door with you to a local independent paint store that carries Benjamin More paints.

Paint with Benjamin Moore Advance paint. Great stuff. Takes a little longer to cure than other paints, but it cures really hard and durable.

DerbyDad03

And proper cleaning before applying a latex paint is WAY more important than with an alkyd paint. Just a touch of grease will prevent latex from sticking - an oil pase paint can absorb a small amount of grease/oil and still cure

Reply to
Clare Snyder