latch hardware

I'm refinishing an exterior front gate with a steel latch mechanism. The gate is pretty massive, and when it hits the back side of the latch, it bounces out of the groove that would otherwise make it closed.

Does anyone have an idea how to absorb some of that energy and have the latch fall into the groove properly? (I wish I had a picture.)

I was thinking I might grind the top part down and add rubber where it strikes the latch.

Fishing for tips,

Reply to
Uno

Just a brainstorm type idea but maybe a spring or foam rubber or something in the gap where the hinges close to slow it down during the last 5 to 10 degrees of closing.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Sounds like your latch check mechanism isn't working well. The ones I have played with it seemed that the gate momentum forced the latch capture mechanism in and this pivoted the top and it forced to hook over the latch pin, capturing it until lifted again.

Either this one is a different style, the pivot is sticking, or the latch isn't lining up with the catcher's mitt.

Does anyone have an idea how to absorb some of that energy and have the latch fall into the groove properly? (I wish I had a picture.)

I was thinking I might grind the top part down and add rubber where it strikes the latch.

Fishing for tips,

Reply to
Josepi

Would one of the old fashioned screen door catches work?

Nova

I recall an old sceen door addition that might be the same thing. It was a rubber ball on a short rod. As a screen door swung shut, the centrifugal force would flip the ball out into the door's edge, cushioning the slam. When it rebounded and swung shut again, there'd be less force and gravity would hold the ball out of the closure.

Nonny

> --

Reply to
Nonny

-------------------------------- Standard hydraulic door closer.

They are designed to control heavy doors and gates.

Here in SoCal they are standard issue for a swimming pool fence.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Was it always this way? If not, what changed? Change it back, if possible? Like you said below, it's hard without a picture. Still, I feel confident that it's probably nothing that money can't fix. : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Of course!!!

What he said. Please ignore my earlier (stupid) response.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thanks all for responses. I'll be working on the door and latch today and will snip an image of it.

Reply to
Uno