New Tormek stuff

While at the Saratoga woodworking show, I learned that there are some new items from Tormek.

I bought a DVD+Book combo called "Woodturner's Instruction Box." ($25)

The book inside isn't anything more than a hardcopy of the latest changes in the manual.

But the DVD by Jeff Farris is certainly worth checking out. There are

80 minutes of tips on using the Tormek jigs, along with some tips on woodturning in general (This is in the Extra section). These videos are not the ones you can download from the Tormek website.

In particular, he gives some good advice on transitioning from a standard bowl grind to a more advanced side grind (such as the Ellsworth). I wish I had this before I decided to put an Ellsworth grind on my new gouge. The Tormek is not great at massive re-shaping. And to tell the truth, I screwed it up and will have to re-grind my gouge.

There are some other interesting tips as well. Jeff describes when and when not to burnish scrapers, and talks about burnishing angles, etc. This is certainly worth watching more than once, for beginners.

Another new addition is the "Square Edge Jig" for doing plane irons. I had problems getting a perfectly square edge on my iron. There is a new jig with 3 improvements that addresses this problem.

Let me see if I can remember all three.

1) The 90 degree alignment is made easier. 2) The tool has a floating back, to make sure the tool is parallel to the wheel. 3) There is a stop on the end of the universal support to make sure you don't go to far

It needs a threaded end in the universal support. I'll probably tap my own.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I agree that the DVD is worth every penny that one spends on it. Jeff does a great job telling one how to use the Tormek.

The Tormek is not a good grinder to shape for your tools. If you want the Ellsworth Grind on your bowl gouge, I recommend that you purchase the Ellsworth jig and use it to shape your gouge. Then set up the Tormek to duplicate that grind. This requires the tool to extend out of the tool holder by 3" and the jig to be set to one position beyond the zero position and then a separation of the tool bar to bring the tool properly to the wheel to cut a clean line on your gouge.

I said in an article that you could not grind the Ellsworth Grind on the Tormek. Tormek sent me a gouge with the Ellsworth Grind on it. A tool holder set to the proper angle, a block to space the bar from the wheel, and a tool extension block set to 3" to measure tool extension. It works perfectly and I wrote and article telling how to do it in More Woodturning. I rough grind all of my 5/8 inch gouges to the Ellsworth Grind with the Ellsworth Jig and then sharpen with the Tormek. The Tormek edge lasts much longer and cuts much cleaner.

If you are using a bowl gouge smaller that 5/8" in diameter, you can make a sleeve to fit the gouge and bring the diameter up to 5/8". The Ellsworth Jig will then grind a perfect Ellsworth grind on your smaller gouge. Use the same sleeve in the Tormek tool holder to then sharpen it on the Tormek.

Fred Holder

Reply to
Fred Holder

Reply to
Kevin Cleary

It's on the web site. Instruction Box TNT-300

or
$24.99

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Thanks, Fred.

I have one, but I found it tricky to hold consistently. I tried the Tormek because there is more control. But I ended up over-grinding. :-( I'll have to try again. I think I will cut an extension rod out of aluminum of the appropriate length to extend my Ellsworth jig so it works with my Wolverine setup. That might give me more control.

Jeff gives two very good tips on the Ellsworth. He says you only turn the tool to 90 degrees when grinding. I went past that.

In addition, for newcomers, he suggested you "ease" into the Ellsworth. That is, you start with the factory grind. Then you slowly change the angle to approach the Ellsworth's extreme angle. Try this grind out for a while. After some experience with this, you can then increase the angle some more. But this way - you only remove a little of the steel for each step, and test the new grind before continuing.

The difference is, you slowly grind the wings at a more aggresive angle, and gain experience with the changed geometry. He also says you might end up preferring something im between. This was my third bowl gouge, and I can't say my technique is advanced.

But I agree - shaping a 5/8" P&N Gouge into an Ellsworth grind on a Tormek was difficult: time consuiming and easy to mess up. The new DVD gave me some useful options to consider.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol