large router

OT, but I did see a rather large trim saw in a documentary about Steinway pianos. After they glue up the laminated frame they trim the edges with a saw that is basically a 10- or 20-hp motor with a horizontally-mounted saw blade attached. The piano frame, on a dolly, is pushed through the unshielded saw by a couple or three brave guys.

Reply to
scritch

I think that was called "Note By Note" and it's on Netflix.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Ooooo...how much HP for that, full depth, one pass? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks for pointing those out, I hadn't looked a Freuds.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I'd still worry about the force on a big router bit (it'll try to move the work sideways), as compared with the force on a dado set in a radial arm saw (which pulls the work toward the fence).

Unless you have a quick clamp system and jig, the RAS would seem to me the faster solution, and you'll get lots more cuts per blade resharpening.

Reply to
whit3rd

I will comment on the fact that if the Milwaukee router is anything like my Milwaukee portable circular saws, it has the best chance of any of them of doing the job. My circular saws could rip all day long, and did for many years, and never failed the gears or bearings. More torque than any other contractor grade saws. Milwaukee is also usually about 15% heavier than other brands, and in these cases, weight is usually highly relatable to strength and durability.

If I had need of a monster router, it would be my choice, hands down.

Reply to
Morgans

------------------------------------------ Milwaukee 5625; however, trying to use that beast as a hand held device scares the hell out of me.

Give some thought to mounting the router securely and fixturing the part while it is being cut.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

ares the hell out of me. Give some thought to mounting the router securely and fixturing the part while it is being cut. Lew

On advice from those here, I bought the Milwaukee 5625-20 and am very pleas ed with it. I not only needed an upgrade, but I need some beef.

Hand held routing can be safe with the 5625. Just take your time and make shallow cuts. I recently made rabbets with a 5/8" straight bit and there w as no problem handling the router or the cutting. I made shallow and narro w cuts, not one-pass cutting. I would not attempt making a 5/8" dado by a hand held method with this 5/8" bit.

I bought this router for using these large profile bits (first few pics on the Photostream link). I would not attempt to use the hand held method for these bits. As someone said, using the hand held method, with large bits, are likely to throw the router, throw the wood or both. I have yet to mak e a router table, but it's on my agenda.

36144@N04/

I would recommend the Milwaukee 5625-20.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Hand held routing can be safe with the 5625. Just take your time and make shallow cuts.

--------------------------------------- Agree: however, speed was a part of the requirements specified.

IMHO, speed and a large hand held router are mutually exclusive.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett