large router

I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

AFAIK there aren't any others...from the FWW review of not terribly long ago...

Reply to
dpb

Milwaukee

BTY you can buy just the motor for the PC if that is all you are interested in.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW Milwaukee is actually claiming 3.5 hp now.

And less expensive here

or here

or here

Leon

Thanks

It would be used as a handheld, the milwaukee looks good, it goes to the top of the list. Wanting a large router is more about duty cycle than the actual load per cut. Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X

1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute, if the job became higher volume, then custom machinery would be brought into play.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Wouldn't a table saw with a dado blade be much faster ???

1/2" dado is pretty deep even for a big ass router.

You will need a least 3 passes for that deep a cut and that might be pushing it pretty hard.

To make 8 per minute is pretty tough for a big table saw with a dado blade set at max width. A router will not be able to produce at that volume level I don't believe.

Reply to
Pat Barber

That would be 24 passes assuming you put a dado set on there that is just over 3/4" wide. I think I have seen 13/16".

Reply to
Leon

O Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X

Might consider a dado blade on a radial arm saw. With a 2 position stop setup you can crank these out in a few seconds each.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I am sure you have thought this out and you have had numerous suggestions but to be quick I would consider building an 8 slot template to fit over the stock to be routed. Then use a top bearing flush trim bit to hog out between the slots in the template.

Reply to
Leon

Each piece will have two slots in the same plane, doing 4 pieces a minute or so.

That is the plan to build a fixed template with two slots to hog out the dados, templates can be fixed with enough slack to allow swapping workpieces without a lot of futzing about. Speed is more important than accuracy for this and if the dadoes are within an 1/16" of where they are supposed to be, all will be good.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Oridinarily I would agree, but this operation doesn't require chip free edges or a nice smooth cut, finish will be sacrificed for speed, and the material will all be pine.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

'k, I gotta' ask: What the heck are you making?

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Not really at liberty to be specific, but think "throwaway shipping pieces"

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Dadoes?

Reply to
Swingman

FWIW Milwaukee is actually claiming 3.5 hp now. ================================================================================================ They might as well claim 10 horsepower. It would be just as true as claiming

3.5. On 120 volt, 15 amp circuit, 2.41 horsepower is all you can get and that only if assuming 100% efficiency.
Reply to
CW

Have you considered putting the router in a table and using a power feeder to push it through. I don't know if 8 will be possible a minute but it would probably be the best way to control burning the bit, and getting a quality cut in one or multiple passes.

Reply to
woodchucker

You have to look at how some companies rate horsepower. They may run it at 125% in a frozen eviorment and take the last reading they had before it disintegrated.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

you can crank these out in a few seconds each.

Ok scratch my last comment, I didn't see the 4" stock, just the 1.75 x .5... a power feeder won't do the 4" wide.

Reply to
woodchucker

You have to look at how some companies rate horsepower. They may run it at 125% in a frozen eviorment and take the last reading they had before it disintegrated. ======================================================================================================= Very true but it doesn't make it true. I had an electronics instructor that was very close to getting his masters degree and he firmly believed that he had a 3.25 horsepower router. They'll give a degree to anyone these days.

Reply to
CW

I didn't realize that Freud makes some rather larger bits and that should work for your project....

Scary large...

Note the following:

50-126 1-1/4" 1-1/4" 1-1/2" 1/2" 3-3/8" 50-130 1-1/2" 1-1/2" 1-3/4" 1/2" 3-3/4" 50-138 2" 2" 2" 1/2" 4" *This bit has an oversized bearing to work for various jigs.
Reply to
Pat Barber