Koa wood source in Maui? Jo4hn?

Sorry for the double post (different header), but I leave Sat 3:30 AM... I thought the previous header might be mistaken for one of the troll's posts TIA

Aloha Any recommendations for a source of Koa that might also ship some back to Florida for me? I'll be in Maui for a week and am serious about buying some of that gorgeous wood for an as yet unknown project (or two). I know Jo4hn is somewhat familiar with Hawaii, anyone else? Mahalo, Tom

Reply to
Thomas H. Bunetta

Don't know about Maui, but my father who lives on Oahu makes trips to the Big Island (Hawaii) to buy a guy who has his sawmill there. I'll check.

Layne

Reply to
Layne

Reply to
Thomas H. Bunetta

I put in a reply to your previous post. The forests seem to be on the big island but a DAGS on Maui koa "lumber sales" gave two results. Tough going to Maui on business. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

There are a couple of hardwood stores somewhere near the big airport. Never looked, but found them in the phonebook. Maui Laminates 871-6500; Harware Lumber 244-0499 (note still in wallet from last year)

If you are in Lahina, there are a few woodworking places in the industrial area on the mountain side of the main highway. Its not big. Cruise through, sort of on the north end of town. There's at least one cabinet guy, and another place or two that does woodworking.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

Hey Tom,

The guy that my dad buys his koa from is: Jay Warner Awapuhi Farm and Mill

808.968.7074

He usually does big orders so he might not be the one for you...or maybe he is? Anyway, try and give him a call and see what he can do or not do for you.

Also, check out woodfinder.com for other retail sources. The list is by no means complete...just the ones that list on woodfinder. Unfortunately it didn't list any koa sources on Maui...only Oahu and the Big Island.

Hope this helps,

Layne

Reply to
Layne

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Thanks for all the posts, y'all... I'll be thinking of ya' (won't be bringing a 'puter to drop in). based on one of your posts I don't know how much Koa I'll be able to afford to buy (and ship), but I'll be dam*ed if I'll get that close with out buying at least decent board! Tom

BTW... anyone figure out how to filter dizum from OE?

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta