A business trip "forces" me to Maui...

Aloha Any recommendations for a source of Koa that might also ship some back to Florida for me? I'll be in Maui for a week and am serious about buying some of that gorgeous wood for an as yet unknown project (or two). I know Jo4hn is somewhat familiar with Hawaii, anyone else? Mahalo, Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Unfortunately I haven't been to Maui for 30 some years.

The Big Island has Umikoa Ranch (offices in Hilo

and the Kona Hema Preserve on the west side of the bi, neither of which did I get a chance to visit. You might also take a look at
Mclaren Woodworks (Hilo side) sells koa at $24.50 bf for 4/4.

Best chance is to google for Maui koa "lumber sales". I got a couple of hits. Good luck and have fun. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Dear Tom: I hate you.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Well that's ALMOST as good as a "you suck!", Bob. I'll try harder next time Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

I'm happy you have something like this to keep you occupied. Years back I had an office in Oahu and flew to Hawaii a couple of times a month. It's a beautiful place but not when you're there and your wife is back home. I came to dread my time in Hawaii.

Vacationing there as a couple was fun though.

RB

Thomas Bunetta wrote:

Reply to
RB

Tom: W.C. Fields thought so too.

Be sure to take in avolcano while you're there. In '91 our astronomy club hit the Big Island and Maui for an eclipse trip. I was very surprised at the limited number of garish lights and signs in the state. I had expected L.A. West, but the islands were pleasantly subdued. Enjoy the trip.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

On Thu 22 Apr 2004 10:28:43a, jo4hn wrote in news:fhThc.4955$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I stopped at Paradise Hardwoods not far from Hilo, and Aloha Woods on the Kona side when we were there last January. Both had really nice-looking wood at similar prices to that. Different grades were a bit lower, select curly was almost 30/bf. Bought a long chunk of 8/4 Mango from Paradise too, just because it was there. Didn't go to Maui, just gazed at the coastline from the north end of the Big Island. Nice view. :-)

A lot of the shops we hit, if their main stock was bowls and boxes, had a rack or a box with scraps and cutoffs. I found a nice section of Koa round, about 6'x8'' in one of them, and one owner had some he'd just bought from a local who cleaned out his grampa's barn and he took me out back and let me pick through it. Didn't get much, I wasn't the first one to check it, but it was fun.

I'm sure there's some on Maui, but from what I heard and researched, it probably came from the Big Island. Sounded like the smaller islands have been pretty much logged out.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I have him too, as a few years back I _had_ to live in Hawaii for almost five weeks. My wife did a Master's project at the U of H Institute of Astronomy in '99.

Boy, that really sucked for me!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Sigh. A kept man living in Paradise. Too good to be true. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I live in Honolulu... consider he projects you will be making, I go to a few of the local commercial shops and buy cutoffs for about $6-$8bf, depending on size. I've seen a few 8/4 pieces between 2-3 feet and 10 inches wide but mostly 4/4. If the project is a a few small boxes, the cutoff bin is the way to go. I'm back to paradise after a week in Denver... it snowed there Friday morning and I was glad to get to the plane...

Jack

Reply to
Jack