Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

Check it out. You haven't seen every possible stupid repair, YET! ;-) You'll be glad you didn't have to clean up most of them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 22 Feb 2013

22:21:23 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

One more reason I don't go there.

What is it with calling all things improvised "white trash repairs"? If it looks stupid but works - it tain't stupid.

pyotr filipivich

That's not a smoke detector, that's a heat detector. I should know, one of the things I've done professionally was the installation of fire alarm systems and that device resembles a detector called a "rate of rise" which goes off when the air temperature reaches a certain point at a certain speed. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Of course not, I'd never be so arrogant to claim I've seen everything but I'm confident I've seen TOO much. I know I'll never live long enough to see EVERYTHING. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I used to be referred to as Polish Engineering but that's not Politically Correct so a group of folks who don't care had to be chosen to take responsibility for all bizarre and stupid constructs. White Trash is such a group of people and it may not be widely known but February is White Trash Month and has been for many years since it's the shortest month and WT has always gotten to short end of the stick. The White Trash month celebrations going on at trailer parks across the nation have been quite entertaining for the participants this year. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And always have to be installed in the worst places. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

May you live long enough to regret that remark. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It started in the '70s with that memo about it being wrong to say something was 'Afro Engineered'. Some day, all of the rednecks will decide they've had enough and there will be hell to pay. 'Riled-up rednecks on a rampage! :)

They live in trailer parks, because they aren't minorities who can get subsidized housing.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh I know plenty of WT on the government dole. Most people refuse to believe that Caucasian females account for the greatest number of welfare recipients. It used to be that they would stay on welfare until they could get back on their feet but from what I've seen, they will now accept it as a way of life. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Fourth or even fifth generation in some families. Sad, but true. I don't see it much anymore, but back in the '60 & '70s I did TV repair and saw a lot of disgusting things. Did you ever run a service call in a whorehouse? The place reeked, and everyone there looked like death warmed over.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There are oodles of home-made glass cleaning formulas on the web. It's cheap enough to try them one after another 'til you find the concoction that meets your needs.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yep. And many early music groups had advanced degrees in music (The Limelighters, etc.).

Reply to
HeyBub

I ran TV service calls back in the 70's but here in the Bible Belt, a whorehouse was something hidden and only available to the well-heeled and politicians. Of course I had to bug bomb some TV sets outside the shop to keep roaches off the bench and had to explain to a number of folks that their cherished Sony TV should have been unplugged, hosed out and allowed to dry after their kid spilled milk into it and brought into the shop immediately, not a week later. My Dog, I swear I've been a witness to "The Dumbassification of America" over the past half century and it's getting worse. I run service calls in retail stores and my favorite is the Ann Taylor stores where I find the funniest things wrong with equipment. The gals working there invariably nice but I find things unplugged or network gear with stuff piled on it as though it were a shelf causing it to overheat or knocking the wires out. I often have to explain to the manager that nothing should be leaned up against the telephone backboard and the equipment closet containing any network, phone equipment or electrical panels is not a storage space. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've always enjoyed Picasso's work but his later works look as though he discovered psychedelic mushrooms since LSD hadn't been synthesized in those days. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

With Afro Engineered being the PC version of N----- Rigged.

I grew up with jerry-rigged or jury-rigged, depending on who said it.

Some sources say that jury-rigged is a bastardized version of jerry-rigged with "jerry" referring to the ways the Germans were often forced to improvise as they were losing the war and couldn't get supplies.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not going to waste whatever time I have left on this earth viewing 1167 images of sloppy repair work.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Solders of any nation have always been notorious at hacking together solutions to problems in times of war. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Too many are burned into my memory. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Many? Please..... You'd be hardpressed to find rock'n'rollers with ANY degrees in ANYthing, much less in music per se. I'll bet that 50% of rock'n'rollers didn't graduate HS. An ADVANCED degree?? ie, MS, PhD?? Are you KIDDING????

If I'm wrong, I"d enjoy hearing your cites. And the irony to that is we then have to listen to GED bullshit philosophies on love and life, recorded for all of eternity, for the rest of our miserable lives.

Speaking of which, Jim Morrison (Doors) *did* finagle a degree in theatre/fine arts, and was widely read in philosophy. YET, the sum total of the cultural impact of the Doors was this: Every post-pubescent female in the USA, Japan, and Germany were dreaming of, vying to fellate Jim Morrison. If you don't believe me, conduct your own poll. Get your wife drunk, and ask her.... Mine still denies it, but I know she's lyin.... lol Well, mebbe not.... but Engelbert Humperdink, f'sure f'sure.... lol Heh, and proly 25% of the male population dreamed of fellating Morrison, as well.... lol

A few instrumentalists studied formally, for a while, but few actually graduated, as the demands of performing (at least for the really talented) prevailed. Examples are Al Hirt (Green Hornet theme, one of THE virtuoso displays in trumpeting), Jacques Loussier (Play Bach, stunning rendition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons).

But formal study was rare in rock'n'roll. I mean, really, yer playin I-IV-V, I-IV-VI all fukn day long..... what's to study???? Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) I don't think ever even changed key.

Billy Joel was classically trained in piano, as was Elton John, but neither, to my knowledge, had music degrees. Jeff Goldblum, in his clown role replacement of Vincent D'Onofrio in LawnOrder, is apparently quite the accomplished jazz pianist, but not formally trained.

That Jacques Loussier, Al Hirt et al did not gradurate is of course moot. My point being, mostly, that you and Jim Wilkins may have a pernt, but you shouldn't OVERstate your case..

And Al Hirt could blow that pompous academic wannabe Wynton Marsalis clear out of Lincoln Center, into New Jersey.....

Billy Joel, btw, has a brilliant command of the "rock'n'roll" lexicon. In a recent and lengthy interview on NPR/WNYC, at a piano, he could bang out, at will, it seemed, the full arrangement of a wide variety of tunes, seemingly impromptu.

I'm sure some in the Moody Blues were classically trained, but proly didn't obtain degrees.

And Louis Armstrong could barely read music. Go figger.

Ultimately, talent is talent. Can trad'l/formal education tweak it? Sure. But apparently, it's not necessary. Esp. if the bulk of your repertoire is I-IV-V chords, fergodsakes....

But back to Jim Wilkins: I didn't know I wrote like e.e. cummings..... Thank you -- I coulda did worse, eh?

Reply to
Existential Angst

its presidential engineered now

Reply to