Just an idle comment.

Wood prices, hardware prieces in general, took a jump after hurricane Andrew.

Reconstruction simply soaked up production.

I don't know if the damage from Isabel was as extensive as Andrew, but I'd guess that suppliers are no longer guaranteeing current prices much more than a week in advance.

Might be prudent to lay in some stock, now. (Which, of course will serve to drive prices even higher.)

James...

Reply to
J&KCopeland

You may still be too late. . .shoulda done it a month ago. . .

Reply to
SwampBug

Or wait a couple of months and let the excitement die down. Eventually the demand will let up and the stores will be over stocked again.... Remember the Duct Tape frenzy?

Reply to
Leon

I still have 10 rolls of duct tape. :)

No, it's not what you're thinking. I bought'em to tape the plastic stuff to the wall in my crawlspace.

It didn't work.

So now I let my kids use all the duct tape they can imagine ways to use.

Actually, when I was a poor kid with no toys and nothing but cardboard boxes, scissors, and duct tape to play with (my Star Wars toys were all silver and brown), duct tape was a really precious commodity. I wasn't allowed to use much of it, because it was too expensive.

Maybe that's why I have 10 rolls.

Being not poor doesn't suck, even if I'm almost poor now. At least I'm not poor. I don't ever want to be poor again.

Reply to
Silvan

LOL. First thing I did when I moved out of the house after High School was to buy _myself_ a gallon or milk and a gallon of ice cream. With seven in the family, it was unheard of to have that much of those two food groups at your own disposal.

Reply to
Swingman

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:26:21 -0400, Silvan pixelated:

Save a Gerbil: dispose of duct tape NOW!

Oh, I...never mind.

I imagine you've seen

and
by now, eh?

---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==--

- Schnazzy Tees online

Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And if not, watching a few hours of 'The Red Green show' on pbs ought to do the trick.

Regards, JT

Reply to
John Thomas

No, I realized how absurd that was. Besides, I already had the duct tape from way back. SWMBO did the shopping. 10 rolls of 25' plastic, and 10 rolls of 100' duct tape to tape it up with.

Yeah, I know. Scary thing is, she was a math major!

I guess I had never been that bored. Until now. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I was the only one, but my parents were very, very thrifty. Even after we stopped being poor, they were tight. It's almost obscene how much money they spend on my kids now.

Anyway, for me it was Archway oatmeal raisin cookies. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Don't forget Prairie Home Companion Brought to you by the national Duck Tape Council and spokesperson Maureen the Duck Tape Lady.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

In a few months (around here anyway) the Exterior Building will stop. Leaving more 2xs and OSB and Plywood in the stock yards. Everyone will go indoors and use up the supplies of Sheetrock (which are always in short supply).

Reply to
Young Carpenter

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:58:39 -0400, Silvan pixelated:

Archway ginger snaps are nearly as good as Murray ginger snaps, but I can't find the Murray brand any more. (Yes, I know that Murray makes Archway.)

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques