Jointer Woes

Anonymoose wrote in news:Xns947A88257D09DIhatespam@216.196.97.136:

The shop I want to take it to closed at noon, so I dorked around with it some more (must pick it til it bleeds). It looks like the high spot is on the outfeed table. If I set the infeed table to be almost but not quite zero'd out and slide my level from infeed to outfeed table (like I was feeding a piece), at just the right height there is a discernable 'click' on the fence side (as the piece hits the outfeed table) when there is no 'click' on the opposite side. So, either the outfeed table has a high spot there, or the infeed table has a low spot in front of the cutter head. Unfortunately, I can't tell which from looking at it. Hope the shop has some amazing high-tech gear to scope this out for me...micro this and nano that...somehow, I'm guessing not.

What a pain in the ass.

Reply to
Anonymoose

You got that little bench-top thing. I had one once and it worked great if you were careful (thin cuts and flip the piece end for end on each pass). You're correct, there is no ability to adjust it

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

i had this same jointer, returned it to lowes no matter what i did, shim the tables, it would always have a gap, bought a cast iron jointer with long tables problem solved for about 200 more dollars...tony

Reply to
Tony

"Tony" wrote in news:E_OdnTTdObRbZ4 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Final solution: Returning the JT160 to Amazon - may have issues with not returning it in the original box, but I'll deal with that later - so far they say no problem. And ordered the Bridgewood from Wilke's. I suspect I would have no more luck than Tony. I called the local Delta service today and they were as helpful as they could be. I told them I suspected a slightly warped outfeed table and they put in an order to ship me a replacement - and they mentioned that the infeed and outfeed tables were identical - something that's pretty obvious when you look at it, but I didn't notice anyway. So I scampered downstairs and swaped them and gave it a try - but no joy, I had exactly the same problem. Then I loosened the nuts that hold the plates that the tables mount onto (thinking that maybe one was bound in an unlevel position. When I measured it, it looked like I had fixed the problem.

But I ran a couple of pieces through and got exactly the same results. I said "gosh darn" and got on the phone and ordered the Bridgewood.

Reply to
Anonymoose

Gee, you guys have all the fun. I inherited a "Dunlap" jointer (Sears, pre-Craftsman). Wooden stand and all. Had to put a new motor in it last year ($5.00 - garage sale) never had a bit of trouble with it except for a worn out motor - - I've had it for 15 years now and don't have a clue as to it's age.

Reply to
rj