i'm not woodworking at all, so i'm asking you for advice.
i want to buy a jigsaw for my father in law. we live in poland, and we
have only limited choice of brands. those include bosch, black&dekker,
skil, makita, dewalt (rare) and some others.
all of them are pretty expensive comparing to us prices. however i was
lucky to contact a shop with makita sold-out. they offered me makita
simplest 4323 model brand new for circa 60$, but also 4304T model from
exposition (they described it as never used, but pretty dirty) for 135$.
i compared prices in a local store: 4323 is 110$, 4304T unavalaible, but
catalogue price is circa 240$. so that looks like a good deal.
i write so much about prices, because they matter. nor me, nor my father
in law, are rich. my father in law is a professional, has spent almost
40 years as woodcutter. he lives in a small village, his monthly income
is something around $400. so i have to choose carefully. he will be
using the tool a lot, but doesn't need all the features, quick saw
change etc. he needs a reliable, long lasting tool which will do the
job. but buying something cheaper, and than finding out that it's just
an expensive toy, could be even more painfull, than buying something
little bit overpriced.
so my question are:
1. what should i avoid when buying such a tool?
2. which features are essential for cutting, and which are just add-ons?
3. is it worth to blow almost twice as money for more pricey makita?
4. maybe i have to look for another, less expensive brand, like skil?
5. what are pro and contras for those two models?
6. do you know any on-line reviews of jigsaws?
thanks a lot for your attention