Jet 17MF Drill Press confusion

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help clear up some confusion I'm having with ordering this machine. There seems to be two different item numbers for this machine - 354169 and 354169G. The "G" apparently stands for "Gold" version and includes a mortising attachment.

The problem is that every online site I can find that has an order link for the "G" version seems to put you at an Amazon.com page for the item number without the "G" and there is no mention in the Amazon description of a mortising attachment. I'm reluctant to just order from the Amazon page without knowing if the mortising attachement is included or not.

So... has anyone ordered the Jet 17MF "G" version lately and if so where? Price you paid would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

Michael Burr

Reply to
Michael Burr

Don't bother. It's a piece of junk. The mortising attachement, that is. The drill press itself is fine.

Reply to
Roy Smith

For what its worth, my dealer just gave me a new 2004 Jet woodworking catalogue. Its got 157 pages and includes such minutia as every dust collection fitting and clamp that jet sells (try to find that on any website including Jet's!).

Anyway, under drill presses, there are Eleven (11) models listed (some not shown on Jet's website). There is no 354169G listed.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Thanks for that Bob, what number is listed for the 17MF...

354169? I get the feeling that the "G" was more of a "package" notation - i.e. the 17MF with the mortising attachment as an extra.

I can't prove that at this point - hence I'm still looking for anyone that might have bought the 345169G version lately.

Someone responded the the mortising attachment is "crap" and don't bother. To that I'd have to say that I know of it's limitations and in a perfect world with lots of $ in my pocket I'd agree. But my mortising needs (and shop space) are currently too modest for a seperate mortising rig - so the attachment would be better than nothing and a reasonable compromise for my particular situation. As "Dirty Harry" once said.... "A woodworker's got to know his limitations" :^)

Thanks again,

Michael Burr

Reply to
Michael Burr

The 17MF press is part number 354169. That's the press I own, by the way. Its a good no-frills drill press. One of the reviews I read commented about its ease of changing speeds. I think its pretty reasonable for a belt-drive machine. By the way, I didn't know how much I 'needed' a drill press until I got one.I've used it frequently every day since I bought it... and I don't even have any fancy attachments for it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis