Jeff Samudosky, Wood Carver

I saw a story on this guy the other day. He is one of those guys who has a god given gift to create wonderful sculptures out of wood. No diagrams or drawings. He just "frees the animal" from the wood. He specializes in horses. His horse sculptures can bring $25,000. They are full size. He does bears and other assorted wildlife. This guy is very good. This is his website. He does most of the carving with chain saws.

He has slide shows and pictures on three separate pages on the website. I feel like a ham fisted cave man after looking at his stuff. Enjoy.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Obviously, he is talented. I think being able to "omit the drawings" is commonly acquired after a lot of practice. I understand It saves a lot of time too,and permits the carver to proceed in a more avant-garde way, compared to following a highly-structured (conventional) approach.

He

When you said "chainsaw", I didn't expect to see such fine work! I was pleasantly surprised! : )

Thanks! Bill

Reply to
Bill

I was thinking the same. Most chainsaw work is rather course and difficult to tell a bear from a pig. This is really refined.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I like their wolves most of all, followed by the knights and their horses.

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's a good illustration of what separates an artist from a craftsman.

Reply to
Just Wondering