Itentifying wood by smell

Sure, boxes that smell like vinegar. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

are they usable

i ask because sometimes i see some really knotty and crazy grain in oak and somehow they get nails into without splitting

it seems the rarer pallet woods are also often the worst scrap pieces left over from wherever they source

the pallet making industry probably has some interesting sourcing techniques

urban refuse and the like

Reply to
Electric Comet

With a tight enough fit, you can use them to store vinegar.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Electric Comet on Tue, 13 Feb 2018

08:34:28 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Oh yes. Ripped them on the band saw, and will figure out what to do with them "eventually".

Like I said - I wasn't aware of "grade 4" lumber. Cupped, warped, bark, knotholes - it's is sort of a usable board.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

wooden boat builders actually use the swelling of the wood due to water to provide the seal

have to get it just right though

Reply to
Electric Comet
[snip]
[snip]
[snip]

OMG! All the hand wringing, nervous Nellie, negative Nancy posts -- over used pallets? Are you kidding me right now? The smell is probably your vinegar douche oozing from your overly sensitive mangina, Ladyboy. ROTFL

The whining and negativity in here has totally popped my happy bubble. :(

This is how you do it, boys.

love ya mean it

- Amanda

Reply to
Amanda

right..... What is that rash I see on the girl in the video?

Reply to
Leon

You are a riot Amanda! Keep hanging around! LOL

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

My father had a bunch of black walnut and mahogany he salvaged out of WWII military equipment (a long time go ;-).

Reply to
krw

pyotr filipivich on Tue, 13 Feb 2018 09:44:58

-0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Or you can seal it with olive oil, then have a salad bar.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Electric Comet on Tue, 13 Feb 2018

11:51:42 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yep - "build to the nearest boat" I've heard it put.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:04:59 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yep.

Biggest "crime against nature" was when Oregon State University tore down the old Seed Barn. Built back in the 19"oughts" - those were clear douglas fir beams. Huge. But the contract was "knock it down and send to the dump." Even the foreman thought it was a crime, but we both had no place to put them, even if we could have gotten them out in one piece.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I have my firewood on International pallets. They are Fiberglass and will hold a good load. I want to say close to 36x48. I bought a set for just the firewood - doesn't rot and holds the wood dry.

The wood pallets are stacked edgewise in the far corner of the property near the dumpster.

I have 2x several and some acres. I use pallets that are oak and strong as movable storage places. I'll take my 4x8 pallet covered with OSB to gather down limbs and cuttings. Nicer load than with forks or a small bucket. I can haul a long limb to an area to be cut.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Yep - you'd be surprised what a pallet will hold - I was - .. when I caught this on my dash cam .. :-)

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Surprised the Bobcat didn't tip over. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

It sure looked strange from a distance - until I was close enough to see what it was. I really like my dash-cam for this sort of thing - I've got a few great lightning bolt screenshots from it also.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca on Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:37:25 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Hoo boy.

OTOH, hay tends to "bulk out" before it "gross out".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich