Itentifying wood by smell

    Yes, that is my quandary. I have a stack of pallets, and some rather nice (for some values of nice) boards in some of them. Hardwood, I think "oak" - but I do not know. One thing I do know, when I saw them loose, the wood gives off a pungent smell, similar to that of strong vinegar. (I hope it is the wood, and not the saw blade.)     This is more for my Fund of General Knowledge than a necessity. I've used "pallet board" like this before to make so rather fine (IMOSHO) small wooden boxes and the like.
tschus pyotr
-- pyotr filipivich Just because they're invisible doesn't mean they are your friends.

There are at least half a dozen woods I can identify by their smell when being cut. Oak, walnut, bubinga, cedar (duh!), hickory, purpleheart, white pine, probably more if I think about it.
--

-MIKE-

https://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/
Some pallets are used once and discarded. Some pallets are treated, used and re-used .. .. for who-knows-what .. Finder beware .. John T.
On 2/11/2018 7:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Not to mention the nasties that may have soaked into the wood from the chemicals that may have spilled onto them.
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Yeah, I can tell pine from "not pine"
    But which one smells like vinegar?
--
pyotr filipivich

Could be oak or arsenic. Pallets get drug along trailer floors that have had who knows what spilled on them.
rec.woodworking the following:

    And those I tend to pass over. These hardly have the saw marks worn.
--
pyotr filipivich

Probably the ones that held the crate of vinegar that sprang a leak. :-D
--

-MIKE-

typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Hmmm, that's a possibility. These are from a grocery store.
    OTOH, the last batch were from a hardware store.
tschus pyotr
PS speaking of vinegar, I learned a few years ago, of a disaster for my great grandfather, and the probable Environmental Catastrophe involved as well.     Seems he had a 3000 gallon tank full of apple cider/vinegar rupture. Total loss, and it flooded the creek too. No mention in the article about any fish kills though.
--
pyotr filipivich

3 000 gallon [US, liquid] = 11 356. liters = 22,712 500 ml bottles at $ 70 per bottle
http://tinyurl.com/ycuaglzc
He was a milionaire ! :-) John T.

the really bad poisonous one .. .. or maybe not. it might be the other one ? .. Who really knows ? .. when it comes down to it. .. hope this helps..
[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

OMG! All the hand wringing, nervous Nellie, negative Nancy posts -- over used pallets? Are you kidding me right now? The smell is probably your vinegar douche oozing from your overly sensitive mangina, Ladyboy. ROTFL
The whining and negativity in here has totally popped my happy bubble. :(
This is how you do it, boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
LQgIs4NM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
5RO8ls7_k
love ya mean it - Amanda
On 2/13/2018 3:52 PM, Amanda wrote:

right..... What is that rash I see on the girl in the video?
"Amanda" wrote in message

You are a riot Amanda! Keep hanging around! LOL
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

I recently toured the factory of Community Play Things. Their products are found in schools, day cares, hospitals, and other institutional places where children and babies can be found. While there I found out that they use a wood for their outdoor products that is pickled.
Though my memory of the details could be off, as I recall the wood itself is from Austria and the preservation is done in Norway... This not a finish but rather an impregnating process (I believe done under a vacuum like pressure treated wood). When I smelled the wood it had the scent of pickles/vinegar.
For pallet wood it might be cost effective compared to heat treated wood... perhaps this is what you have.

> I used to receive and ship on pallets, hundreds per week. I never saw a treated pallet as most were not wanted back by the shipper, GM. Only a very few were made out of a decent wood and those were so riddled with nails it was more trouble than it was worth to try and salvage for other uses.
"Leon" wrote in message

Regarding this tread, I was thinking more along the lines of the requirements for pallets used in international shipments to be treated in some way to prevent invasive pests. The reference to the smell suggested to me it could be a product of this pickling process.
The efficacy of reusing pallets or pallet wood is certainly a valid issue... I've only recycled them into kindling or used them on the floor of my lumber shed as any other use would be too great of a time waster... especially with the access I've had to rough cut over the years. Now that I have an Alaskan chainsaw mill even more opportunities present themselves. For example, while removing beaver killed trees from a rail trail last fall I picked up 8 cherry logs. I milled four of them in my back yard over the past couple weekends... My lumber shed is overflowing and I am looking into ways to store and dry more wood... I guarantee you none of it will be pallet wood! LOL

Well that may very well be the case.

Yeah, those pallets we ended up with, we receive more than we shipped out, we had to pay to get rid of them. So I kept the oak ones to one side and only one time tried to dismantle it. The rest saw my recip saw and the fireplace.
in rec.woodworking the following:

    If you want a four inch wide by 12 inch or so board, they're perfect. Especially for small boxes.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 8:06:15 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Sure, boxes that smell like vinegar. ;-)