Is MDF board good for cabinets

Better idea, find an actual lumber supplier in your area and avoid Home Depot/Lowes. You'll get much better prices and much better quality that way.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Possibly. It was interesting when our Home Depot first opened and I was building my work shop their prices on construction lumber was on par ( a bit lower ) with the local lumber supply places but the quality was FAR superior. HD was selling an Alberta product that appeared to be at least a grade above the competitions BC lumber. The HD 2x6 and 2x4s were perfect.

But few months later their lumber quality went down hill and now appears to be of worse quality than the stuff carried by other local suppliers.

Right now Home Hardware has the good stuff. I actually found a lift of 2x4 and

1x6 spf that actually had pine and fir in the lift. The yard guy let me hand select my 1x6s but would not allow me to hand select the studs. Studs could only be refused if they were defective because customers were ripping stacks apart for the fir. So I came home with a lot of great almost clear 1x6 pine and some fir at construction grade prices.
Reply to
jimmy

The thing is, there are two kinds of lumber yards, softwood yards and hardwood yards. Home Depot is a softwood yard (to the extent that it's a lumberyard at all)--they have a limited supply of hardwoods at not very attractive prices--this is not specific to Home Depot but generally true of softwood yards. Find a hardwood yard and you'll find hardwoods at a lower price and with vastly better selection. They also are not culturally uniform--some are set up mostly as wholesale yards, others are mostly retail, some cater to specific fields, and so on. Generally they sell lumber and plywood and not much else. They also tend not to have Web sites, although this is changing--your best bet for finding them locally is the Yellow Pages.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I was using some of that today. My supplier used an epoxy acrylate finish. Great stuff for carcasses and backs. Since I needed to paint it for this cubscout project I'm doing, I'm hoping that my scuff sanding with 120 will be good enough for the primer to bite into.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

On Nov 26, 4:53 pm, Tom Watson wrote: [snipper to brevitize]

Now, was than an "epoxy" or a "two-part"

(I was going through some archives.. seems that "epoxy vs two-part" horse is pretty much flogged to death by now, eh?)

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah. Those fellas were right, though.

I was using field language and should have been using more educated language.

Such is life...

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

two-part = epoxy. scotch & water = crime.

Reply to
Robatoy