Is a radial saw more versitile than a table saw?

A decent used quality DeWalt can be purchased for under $500.

Reply to
Rumpty

No doubt it can and I have no probem with that approch, I even suggested buy>>By the time you get up to the price of a good new one a compound miter

BTW do you use your RAS for ripping? Perhaps using an extra long accessory fence? If so how do you feel about that process/combination? I ask because I have not tried ripping with my currnet RAS and have never tried it with the long fence setup. Regards Bob

Reply to
rjs

I have a 10" Powermatic cabinet saw and a 16" rockwell Radial arm saw.

I use my RAS to: crosscut wood Dado Miter make tenons cut steel cut brick cut concrete

I use my table saw to: Rip

I would not want to be without either but "I" would probabally give up my table saw first. Standard practice for me when cutting a piece of stock to length is to cut a 1/4" off the end to start out with a nice square cut and then measure and progressively cut the stock to the lengths I want. I could not imagine trying to cut a 1/4" off the end of 10" board with a table saw.

BTW: I paid $500 for my 16" 7.5 hp RAS and $750 for my 10" 3 hp powermatic cab>Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which

Reply to
Oughtsix

Hi Takashi,

My idea of the perfect shop would include 40 feet along one wall with a radial arm saw in the center and 20 foot of bench on either side. I would use it for cross cutting and ripping solid stock. I had a radial arm saw for many years that had an auxiliary spindle for 1/4 inch router bits that ran at 20,000 RPM. I used it a lot. I would also put my CMS somewhere close to the radial arm saw. Space limitations have sent the radial arm saw on to another owner. :(

I use a cabinet saw and a CMS for most of my work. I do sheet goods on the back patio on saw horses with a circular saw then trim with the cabinet saw. There are many different ways to do most any project. You can't go wrong with a table saw and a router for getting started.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Sorta like the third pic here? I hear ya.

Glen

"Dan" wrote

Reply to
Glen