Internetlumber.com opinions

Greetinga Again All, In my search for cherry, I came across this web site for cherry. They sell what they call a Superpak for $270 which will get me 100bdft of rough cherry. Since I only need about 80 bdft, this still leaves me with %20 for waste. Even after shipping, it seems like this would work for me. Has anyone here tried them? Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Do you realize that price is for #1C?

Reply to
ROY!

I got some qs white oak from them that was advertised as a mix of qs/ rift and as FAS. It came in at about 50/50 qs/rift. Wasn't too happy with the quality of the lumber. Some of the boards did not meet published specs for FAS QS material. One of the boards was so warped/ twisted/bowed/narrow it was useless. I did get one real nice wide qs board. Used Wall lumber as well with about the same results. The general consensus is that online lumber purchases are hit or miss. Just depends. Sometimes you get lucky. I've been unlucky twice so the last time I needed more qswo I got it from a hardwood distributor in Little Rock when I had to make a trip there. It was beautiful stuff compared to what I had gotten online. YMMV. Mike

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Yup, I figure after I sort through the crap maybe I'll have enough. If not, I've learned something.......

Reply to
Mark

Do you know what the grading definition for #1C is? Not knowing your project needs, if you need clear material free of sapwood, I don't think counting 20% waste will be nearly enough.

--

Reply to
dpb

Maybe retail (hardwood supplier) is the way to go.......

Reply to
Mark

What size piece(s) do you need and do they have to dress out clear is the question on whether 1C is or isn't a good buy. I hesitate to try to quote it any longer but -- oh, heck, let's look again to make sure I don't say it wrong...ok, there it is---

"1C includes boards that are a minimum of 3" wide and 4' long and will yield clear face cuttings from 66-2?3% up to, but not including, the minimum requirement for FAS (83-1?3%).

"The smallest clear cuttings allowed are 3" by 3' and 4" by 2'. The number of these clear cuttings is determined by the size of the board. Both faces of the board must meet the minimum requirement for Number 1 Common."

Think you can live w/ that? 1C is almost always the most economical choice for kitchen cabinets and similarly sized projects, but if you need much longer than that clear, it may not be such a good choice for your particular needs this time...

OBTW, remember w/ hardwoods such as walnut and cherry that sapwood is _not_ a defect for grading purposes. Also, for quantities, unless it is sold as "net" bd-ft, the amount will be based on sawmill cut measurements, not after dried so you also have to include the shrinkage in the loss estimate. Not much on an individual board, but it does add up as bundle sizes increase in absolute amount of wood you get.

HTH...

Reply to
dpb

Excuse my intrusion into the thread....I'm a lurker.

Do hobbyist's often look for 'superpaks' (whatever that means)....of hardwoods rather than buying off the 'rack' ? I've considered offering reclaimed teak & assorted reclaimed tropical hardwoods in small package such as 2x2 x 72" , 1x4 x 72" ,1x6 x 72" ,4x4 x

72'etc.. for the DIY furniture builders but I am simply not knowledgeable regarding home builders. Boat builders ...I do know.

Any criticisms.....suggestions ?

regards...Ken

Reply to
Island Teak

Actually, I'm usually looking for teak cutoffs and short pieces. Is this a valid email addy for you?

Reply to
Mark

Yes it is.

...Ken