Interesting saw

Very scary..The antithesis of saw stop.

woodchucker

That looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

------------------------------------------------- Had an uncle who built one very similar to that to fit a 1938 John Deere.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I once saw a video from south of the USA border where a guy, "an artist", did a similar thing to carve wood, not just cut it in half. Scarey!

Reply to
Leon

I cut a LOT of elm with a similar saw back on the farm in the late sixties - ours was flat belt driven off the pulley of the 1949 Massey Harris 44 - it would cut wood all day running at idle on a gallon or two of gas. OSHA would have a BIRD today!!! No guards on the blade or the belt

Reply to
clare

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 06:16:17 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Back then, communications weren't near as rampant as they are today. Also people were more liable to keep their problems, deaths, injuries, whatever within their own specific communities. At least, that's the way it was in the communities I lived in.

Reply to
none

And don't forget the best tella-communication on the planet - Tella-woman. The old gossip-mills were every bit as effective as Facebook in spreading the word - whether it be a farm accident, someone's cattle getting out, a sick cow, a "new arrival" or whatever. The "party line" and "rubberin" that went along with them made sure there were few secrets.

Reply to
clare

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:01:01 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Serious accident's, sure. Losing a finger or cut that required a number of stitches, not so much, at least not in the community I lived in. But then, I've always been a city boy and maybe that type of atmosphere leads people to be more isolated than the open farm community towns where everyone knows everyone because there were a limited number of people to know and you came across everyone on a regular basis.

Reply to
none

We had a bigger saw like this on our tractor growing up. It was on the front of a massy Ferguson tractor. It was on the loader and could be raised and lowered. It was driven by a big canvas belt that was powered by a power take off wheel on the side of the tractor. Yep, our tractor came with the ability to drive equipment with canvas belts. Just like the old water wheel and steam engine factories. Only this was portable.

Talk about bridging to eras/technologies. Brings back memories. (codespeak for I am an old fart)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

When I was a kid - our neighbour used a 1928 Durant to power their saw. What's left of the old car, sits today, in our fenceline. John T.

hubops

I think this model is branded "Life Stop"

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

That gives a whole new meaning to "scary sharp"!

Reply to
Just Wondering

My dad farmed with an old Buick straight eight with a Leyland truck transmission and differential behind the buick, and big truck tires a

4 cyl Durant "star" engine sat crosswize across the back with a pulley on the end of the transmission to provide "belt power"
Reply to
clare

Wow ! Those straight 8's were big old thinigs - our other neighbour had a '47 Buick .. I'm pretty sure that the neighbour who used the Durant to power the buzz saw - went through the clutch & tranny to a home made belt drive. John T.

hubops

The guy moonlights as a magician.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

If you think accidents didn't happen, you never were in a town where the big industry was a sawmill or shake mill.

Reply to
scritch

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 21:28:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

No, you said they couldn't have been very common. DAGS on "sawmill accidents". I suggest they were very common in previous years and are still a relatively frequent.

none

Other than the fact that sawmills were dangerous, the URL is in UK, and the things they are considering safety problems were not a concern in the early mills. High noise and welfare conditions do not affect putting your hand in the blade.

**** Band saw blade or pulley cleaning procedures **** Round and sawn timber stacking **** Guarding of power operated cross-cut saws

**** Management of site transport activities

**** Lock-out procedures for interrupting mechanised production processes, for example when freeing jammed timber

**** Two other important problem areas were high noise levels and poor or non-existent welfare facilities."

It is like the 1890 house on PBS, where they could not get approval for a family to living in the house because of a standard issue 1890's stove.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 22:08:34 -0400, Keith Nuttle

Perhaps something closer to home then.

none