incra ultra lite and jig ultra router fences

I DAGS and found very little, and nothing recent, about the Incra ultra lite and ultra router fences:

have experience with these they might share? From the photos, the ultra seems to offer more heft, so it _seems_ more likely to keep square if I add a long fence and run long stock. And, FWIW, the bigger one claims it is good to 0.001" and the smaller to 0.002"!!! Comments? TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

I purchased a diffrent Incra a couple of years ago. I think the light aluminum on these fences are not very sturdy. Of course things change. But I personally don't trust aluminum fences from my little experience.

Reply to
srwood

I have the ultra. For larger projects (larger bits or bigger vertical pieces), I built an auxiliary fence from melamine that has a short side that clamps to the ultra, and a tall side about 8" away that I work off. Since it has a wide footprint, it holds itself vertical under heavier load.

I have had no problems with the fence moving around once it's locked in place, but you can always clamp the fence to your table if needed.

Do you have any specific questions about it?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I have the ultra. A key difference is the length with the "lite" version allowing 12+ inch movement and the ultra 16 inch movement.

I have my ultra bolted to the router top. I find this very strudy. I do not detect fence movement. Does not mean I do not experience movement, just that I cannot tell. For most items I route there is a steady pressure against the fence, but not a lot of force. I have never needed to clamp the fence independant to the Incra lockdown mechanism.

I would not go back to a regular fence. The Incra and competitor Jointech fences are so fast to change settings, and so easy to get back to the exact setting another time.

This may be aluminium, but is strong enough for my needs.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke