Incra LS Super System Is it worth the money?

Ok one more question, is the Inra LS Super System any good, does anyone have any experince with it? Going to either purchase it or the Leigh D4 this week and need some input. Thanks again in advance.

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

Can't speak for the Incra System - never used it but I do have the D4. They have several new models out, the D4R and the 1600 which you also may want to consider.

As for the D4, it works as advertised and then some. My hand cut dovetails look like they were made with a dull ax and I don't care how simple Frank Klaus can make it look - I'll stay with my Leigh D4 jig.

Both companies make quality products - get premium prices and keep the customers coming back. Guess that's about the best PR any company could ask for...... I seriously doubt you would have any regrets with purchasing any of them. What features appeal to you?

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

The ability to repeat cuts using the insertable templates really! Especially the Incra with it's 1/1000th adjustments seems too good to be true.

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

I have the older, twin linear design. When you look at the mechanics of the jig riding at right angles to the fence which is held there by some nylon screws there always seems to be some amount of play -- I am able to make dovetails with the system but I am uncomfortable with anything over 5-6 inches in width. The wood is held vertically and clamped to the perpendicular jig (cannot recall the name right now) -- the larger the piece, the more precarious it gets. On the other hand I love the fence -- I would not trade it for the world as a router fence

I am about to use the D4 that I have had sitting in the box for a month or so -- seems to me the mechanics are a bit better in how the wood is secured

Reply to
Sam the Cat

For making dovetails? If that's your objective, go for the Leigh. Using the Leigh (or any dovetail jib) you can produce dovetails more quickly and without having to look at a cursor position for each dovetail. BTW, I own an Incra Jig Ultra. The previous owner used it a couple of times and shelved it. He sold it to me for $50. After using it a bit, I'll probably sell it on ebay for $50. For single cuts or trims, its fine. For repetitive cuts, its tedious, though accurate.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

The "bull" about adjusting by 1/1000th of an inch is outrageous nonsense. It will never happen. Try setting up a dial indicator reading thousands of an inch and you will find that when you release and retighted the locking lever the fence moves all over the place. If you try to set the wheel for any number of clicks indicating thousandths it doesn't repeat. I use the LS but I also use a very long (4 inch) dial indicator in order to get actual dimensions. I wonder of anyone out there actually works as it is supposed to?

Reply to
George Firestone

If you are looking at these to cut dovetails, and especially if you are going to be doing a bunch of dovetails, get the Leigh D4R

I have both the Incra LS and the Leigh, and the while the Incra does a fine job on dovetails, it is a lot more time consuming with the Incra

- no comparison, I can dovetail both ends of 4 drawer sides with the Leigh in about the time it takes me to do just the end of 1 drawer side on the LS

John

Reply to
john

Ill agree w/ what Sam said about once things get wide.

I just did a set of drawers 12" wide. I ended up making a custom jig that slides on the fence that worked great - much better than the other 90' thing w/ the screws.

Other than that - dovetails are cake on the incra.

Reply to
Rob V

Okay guys I am also intereted in doing most of my box joints on the Incra. Is the leigh more or less capable of box joints? Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread.

ScRaPLeR

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

Does box joints just fine but you have to order the template for it. Check Lee Valley site

for costs. Others carry them also but I'm kinda partial to Lee Valley (along with about 99% of the rest of the group...)

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS