Incra Positioning System at Rockler

Rockler is advertising the Incra Precision Positioning System. Billed as the original. It is $99.

I don't have a dovetail jig, have been handcutting a few, and was considering purchasing one, this looks like it could be a more versitile alternative.

Anyone have experience with this system?

Reply to
Jerry

I get a nickel from Pat Warner every time I plug his site....;-)

Take a look here

and consider building this one. Pat sells these precision fences and it was a featured article in FWW a few years ago. I built several using the hardware that was recommended in the article and my cost came about to $100 but I did order extra items since I knew I would build more than one and wanted to experiment. It is not brain surgery to build but it's certainly not as easy as you may initially think. In order to get that .001" accuracy - you need to be very meticulous in how you build it.

Bob S.

(and nooo, I do not get a nickel for each plug)

Reply to
Bob S

damn that thing looks like something you would see on a metal turret lathe. Never seen a jig with a dial indicator on it!

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

--Niiice! Re: dial indicators: damn handy; I use several in my shop. Photo #s 2 and 3 on this page show how I use one on my somewhat lower-tech folding router table..

Reply to
steamer

I have it Jerry. I use it occasionally for any number of things. It is very versatile and accurate but tedious to use for cutting dovetails. I don't think it makes a good substitute for a real dovetail jig. The problem is, you set it up, cut ONE pin; set it up, cut another pin, set it up, cut another pin . . . you get the idea. Then, you repeat the process for the sockets. A dedicated dovetail jig you set up once and cut EVERYTHING at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have my incra jig. It's not junk by any means. It's definately a step up (time wise) from hand cutting.

DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain

Reply to
DonkeyHody