In search of spalted decking

I hope I've come to the right place. I'm trying to locate a good supply of spalted decking material for a variety of exterior projects on houses, schools, and apartment buildings. The engineers spec'd all hardwood planking but the fasteners are only rated for weights more in line with spruce, hemlock, or another fir. That's where the spalting idea comes in. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction?

Reply to
Ralph Hybels

I assume you mean "spalting" in the classic context for wood. It would look like these:

the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would specify that for anything other than decoration. Spalting is one of the first stages of decomposition, and it is the start of the invasion of all the little nasties that make wood rot.

While it isn't uncommon, it is too valuable to many and the good stuff is in too small of a quantity to use it for something like decking or siding.

With a substantial increase of cost, dubious structural integrity of the wood, and the start of some potentially hazardous materials to work with (ask just about any turner that has turned heavily spalted wood) this just makes no sense.

There must a misunderstanding somewhere on this.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I suggest that you ask the engineers re-spec the fasteners to make them compatible with the planking, or re-spec the planking to make it compatible with the fasteners.

My guess is that rather than do one or the other, they will explain to you why you should not deviate from their design.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Spalted material is likely to not meet specs and or not for long.

Reply to
Leon