Trying to locate mating barrel plug / socket ... ;-(

I'm looking (unsuccessfully so far) for the mating half to this, 'DC barrel connector'?:

It's looks to be about 8mm ID and the pin 2.5mm OD, it's the end of a

42V / 2A Li-Ion battery charger for an electric scooter (two wheeler type).

I would be happy to find one in any form but ideally either chassis (so I can fit it in a small 3D printed box) or in-line, so I can convert it to something that is easier to interface for testing etc.

I was wondering if it might be the same size as the DC in on some of those micro PC's or I've seen on some odd models of laptop and whilst it looks familiar, it's around 8mm OD, not 5.5. ;-(

If the charger were mine I might cut the connector off and re-join it with some Powerpoles or XT60's but it isn't (I have one on order).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Maybe, possibly?

Lee

If you are not exactly in a hurry :) :)

Reply to
Lee

Thanks for both of those Lee, they do look like the right thing. Have you seen any dimensions or are we going on the idea that it looks right and it's from a scooter etc?

I'll check the make of the scooter (I only have the battery and charger) and if it's a Xiaomi the chances are it is the right one.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's a sort of a+b=c thing, they sell the charger lead which they state is 8mm*2.5, for the same model. Also Wikipedia (I know) says that while this connector isn't standard as such, it does tend to be used for scooters and Ebikes.

Reply to
Lee

Describes it as 8mm

Lee

Thanks again for looking Lee,

Whilst that looks the same sort of thing, I don't think it's it. If you look back at the end of the lead on the charger I have here, it would (take / plug into) something that looks like a standard laptop barrel connector, with the centre pin in the laptop socket.

So this lead connects via the pin on the *charger* lead to a mating hole in the socket (that must have internal connection) and the charger lead goes *over* the scooter socket plastic core that needs an external contact on it.

My charger lead plug looks like this:

The Ali Express charger lead looks like this:
So this could work:
If the hole in the middle will take a 2.5mm OD pin.

The plastic boss in the middle is less than 8mm OD and has an electrical connection on it.

The ID of the outer hole is greater than the 12.5mm OD of the outer part of the plug on my lead (and it could be all of those, assuming the lead you linked to isn't the natural partner for the socket). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't suppose it would fit a phono socket?

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I see what you mean. Side by side, your one looks hopelessly custom :(

Reply to
Lee
<snip>

You might be right. It's got a Euro type two pin mains plug on it and I think was bought a while ago ... or the charger has been replaced.

I'll ping my mate tomorrow and get the make of the scooter and see if that sheds any light.

If all else fails and assuming there is room etc, I could fit a Canon XLR socket (they do them with a little cover to keep the cr*p out) to the scooter and fit a mating plug on this charger.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

It's the right layout (well spotted) as long as it 'connects' I should at least be able to make up a test lead to charge the battery with the supplied charger till I can learn more about the scooter itself (that I don't have). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

I found my box of connectors this morning and tried a F-F phono adaptor in the charger lead and it does seem to fit. So I plugged a rewireable phone plug in the other end, powered the charger up and measured 40V on the phono, so whilst it may not be the right thing, it does seem to work (with no current at least). ;-)

I'm going to make up a lead later and give it a try.

Thanks for the thought Clive. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The 8mm dia power supply lead for my HP Pavilion g6 laptop looks as if it would plug into the one in your picture.

Reply to
Dave W

I can't quite see from the eBay PSU pictures but does your plug have a pin in the very middle or a hole?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And I did and it worked ok. ;-)

I've ordered an inline socket so I can do away with the F-F converter and male plug.

My mate can see the actual eScooter in his shop but can't actually get to it ATM to see what the charging socket looks like. It may well be a phono but I have a feeling it will be slightly more 'engineered' (and they often have a waterproof cover over them).

But the phono certainly got me going, thanks. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m