Impact drivers and bits

I have a Makita 18v impact driver with which I'm well satisfied........well almost. The only bits I can use in it are those made by Makita. Any other brand sticks in the holder and is a bitch to remove. I can't seem to find a source for Makita bits *other* than in a set with a variety of different type bits. Makita lists a 10 piece set of #2 phillips bits as part #784211-2A but no one seems to carry them. Anyone else have this problem? And suggestions?

Max

Reply to
Max

I'm not familiar with that driver, but ... If it uses wire detent bits and you insert a ball detent bit it will get stuck. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I just looked up that makita pn and it is wire detent. Have you tried here

Artemus

i guess google is a little too complicated eh?

Steve Barker

The driver is this one:

takes ball detent bits I had the wrong pn. it's:

784316-A or 784316A100
Reply to
Max

And I don't want 100. ;-)

Max

Reply to
Max

The makita 18v impact can be a bear on inferior bits. The ball detent is universal and you just need to buy better ball detent bits. I've used my 18v to drive sockets w/an adapter and totally twisted the adapter in circles or broke them. McFeeleys has good bits that last for me. There are others out there available locally. Shop around and see what works for you.

RP

Reply to
RP

Those impact drivers can break bits in a hurry if you're not careful. Square drives as well as Phillips head. I've seen some made specifically for impacts, but I can't remember where and I'm not googling right now sorry. I think McFeely's. JP

Reply to
JayPique

DeWalt has a series of "Impact Ready" bits. HomeDespot carries them.

Reply to
krw

But my problem is finding #2 Phillips bits (made by Makita) in quantities in less than 100.

Max

Reply to
Max

I found them at ACE Tool and they ain't cheap!

Max

Reply to
Max

Remind me to never buy another Makita tool.

Reply to
krw

I will whenever I replace mine with Bosch. ;-)

Max

Reply to
Max

I already did. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I have the Makita BD141 and it takes every bit I've found at home centers and hardware stores. Ball detent is the standard. I have no idea why you might be having problems. The only bits I couldn't fit into mine were the HF double-ended philips bits. They were 0.010" too large in diameter.

-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Even cheapies from the Harbor Fright 10-packs work well in mine. I have trouble finding 4 and 6" lengths locally for a decent price, but Lee Valley has them and I buy from them during free shipping offers. I tried a 4" from HD and it broke on the third or fourth deck screw, but now I use torx screws for that.

-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My Makita replaced a Bosch and I love both. YMMV.

-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you get regular drive bits intended for the typical drill and you push the bit to the limit it can distort the bit and make it difficult to insert and remove. Typically I have no problem with McFeeleys screw driver bits.

Consider also bit intended for impact driver use. Take Milwaukee Shock Wave bit sets for instance.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW I have a 9.6 12 volt Makita impact driver, the green one, and I have an 18 volt Bosch Impact driver. I use the Bosch as a back up if I get that desperate. Probably will never buy a Bosch drill, driver, impact again. Over the past 15 or so years I have had the opportunity to use 4-5 Bosh drills, impacts etc. All have failed in some way except for the free Bosch impact that I some how won and don't use.

Reply to
Leon

So can the 12 volt.

The ball detent