I'm an idiot--router table department

So I need to make a half inch rabbet in four pieces of purpleheart.

So I stick the rabbet bit in the router and have at it.

So it turns out a need more like 5/16 of an inch and I don't have a smaller bearing.

So I turn the pieces on edge and run them through with the bit raised a little bit.

So now I have a little 1/16" or thereabouts ridge in the corner that I have to neander out with a chisel.

So the phone rings.

So when I get off the phone I come back and realize that I'm neandering this on top of the router table, which has a 3 horse router in it, a lift, and an Incra jig. DOH. About a minute and a half later it's done.

What I can't figure out is WTF I didn't do it that way to begin with.

Reply to
J. Clarke

LOL.. After the initial DOH.. I find those discoveries very refreshing. Keeps me humble.

Robatoy

Sounds like something I'd do. So many toys... so little time.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Maybe if you attached a laser to you router table and....... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Well, look at it this way, if you had used the router to begin with, you probably wouldn't have heard the phone ring.

Reply to
lwasserm

That should have been 9/16. Can't add on top of everything else.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's what answering machines are for. They let you concentrate on the work at hand.

Reply to
George Max