I finally got a cabinet saw!

I fnally got down to Grizzly and purchased a 10 inch left tilt cabinet saw (early Christmas). Wow, what a difference from my contractor saw! Of course, there were some bad unanticipated (sometimes maddening) differences too.....

Measurement from front to back is about 1/4 inch smaller so I had to "trim" my entension table. It's 3 1/2 inches shorter so all my extension and outfeed table legs had to be cut down to size. Because of this lack of height, wide plywood to the left of the saw blade will now hit the jointer fence. Practically none of the holes from my Beismeyer 50 inch fence lined up so I had to drill many new holes. Holes on the back of the saw were darn near impossible as there isn't any room to get your hands in there to secure a nut. I tried drilling and tapping a couple of holes but I couldn't tap the cast iron. I must have been doing something wrong and I think I ruined the tap. I did get the back rail mounted but it was with great effort.

The good news is....

I put new melamine on the side and outfeed tables and boy is that an improvement over the plywood I had before. The fence doesn't "bump" over any openings in the table wing, it's solid now. The blade height locks! No more hanging clamps from the hand wheels. The dust collection really works!

Now all I need to do is start cutting. Entertainment center here I come.

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

Mike Berger

Wouldn't it have been easier to put the saw on a platform of some kind?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Left tilt?? (just kidding) Congratulations! Tom

Reply to
tom

I assume you went with the 1023SL? I've got that saw and have found it to be a great saw (and at a reasonable price). Have fun with it! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Bryan; I got the same saw last summer, it's great. Much better than my old contractor saw could have ever hoped to be. I put a Woodworker II blade on it and I would put it up against any Unisaw for twice the price. The fence was a Shop Fox which is a Beismeyer clone and works great. I'm well satisfied.

Reply to
Redd

Yes, it's the 1023SL. I'm the kid with the new bike! :-)

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

I thought about that and then decided that I'd lose a little stability. Cutting the legs wasn't too much of a problem, they were wood, and I really don't cut wide stuff *that* often so the jointer isn't too big of a problem either. Actually, I think I'm going to like the lower working height.

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

Now that you mention it.... :-)

Reply to
DamnYankee

I've been wanting a cabinet saw for a long time so I'm really looking forward to this saw. This came with the 26 inch Shop Fox but my Beismeyer is a 50 inch so I opted to put that on it. Didn't see any reason to spend the extra money for something I already had. Somebody local to me will get a great deal on the Shop Fox fence! :-)

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

Reply to
nospambob

After you've been here a while, one _does_ learn to read minds.

It's not all that difficult, we are all inhabiting the same gutter.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi