I Could Have Hurt Myself Today...

The plan for today was to build a couple of drawer boxes for my kitchen. I estimated that I could get the boxes built and the first coat of finish applied.

I had just spent the last 3 days out of town dealing with family issues related to elderly parents. It was a stressful and frustrating few days and I was looking forward to forgetting the trip and making some sawdust.

I woke up late, I had trouble putting together my cut list and SWMBO wanted the details about the trip. In a matter of minutes I was raising my voice, I was bitching about other family members and I was seriously pissed at the world. I stormed down to the shop, flipped on the lights, took one look at the table saw and said to myself "Don't be an friggin' idiot."

I walked out of the shop, grabbed my earbuds, chose my Piano Music station on Pandora (no words, just music) and took the 2 mile walk down to the lake. I got there just in time to enjoy this:

With my mind calmed, I walked back home, headed down to the shop and got to work. Instead of two assembled drawers with a coat of finish, I have two ready-to-be-assembled drawers, but more importantly, I still have all

10 fingers.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nice. It's great when, at the end of they day, you've accomplished something truly useful (peace of mind, in this case).

I may clean my shop and try to organize a few things tomorrow. Got a text today stating that tomorrow is a "hurricane day". ...or I might just sleep. ;-) Unfortunately, I have a doctor's appointment downtown Atlanta 8:30 Tuesday morning. I'll probably leave the house at 5:00 to make sure I get there on time (it's a whopping 35 miles).

Reply to
krw

Good for you for keeping a cool head. Dealing with elderly parents is taxing to say the least. My dad is 94 and needs constant attention.

Reply to
Leon

Wish I had come home and done that. My squirrel cage fan was making noise.. Stuck my hand in the cage by accident and lost a lot of finger tip.. Ouch..

Reply to
woodchucker

Yep - we have just been through this with my Mom - 91 -

- and very soon - Mom-In-Law .. 92 - not easy. .. It takes a village to raise a child - and .. an older village to care for the elders - we have a lot to learn. There is help out there - social services - find them ! They are not a useless tax burdon - they are a group of fine , caring people who can provide personal care - that you cannot. John T

Reply to
hubops

Bet that pissed off the squirrel too with the blood splatter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

yep, I think that's why he bit me. I have no feeling in my left hand due to a pinched nerve, so I was using my right to pound on the top, ... the middle finger dipped into the exhaust port. Lot's of dark, blood. A few bandage changes and some ice , and I'm good to go.. just not well. Was trying to spray finish on a set of drawers and cabinet.

Reply to
woodchucker

In my case, it's less about the parents and more about the local sister who does most of the care. God bless her for all that she does for them, but she makes life miserable for just about everyone involved. Family, health care aides, assisted living staff, etc. Even when she asks for our help, she has to be in complete control. You don't work with her, you work *for* her.

Dammit...now I have to stay out the shop again! ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A very wise man.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Well, My did has been in a memory care facility for almost 3 years. He does not qualify for any help other than hospice.

Reply to
Leon

I will have to say that if she has taken responsibility for the day to day care she deserves the right to be bossy. It is her that has put her day to day life on hold and has worked out a system that works for her and the parents. It is easy to suggest better ways to do things but until the responsibility is totally on your shoulders you really never understand that. FWIW we pay north of $5K per month for my father. How much is your sister being compensated? Take over for 3 months and see if you don't have a different perspective. I'm not jumping you, just asking you to give your sister some slack, she is giving up more than any one and she needs to be able to keep things on an even keel. Dealing with elderly parents is like raising young children again.

Reply to
Leon

+10
Reply to