how to mount timber mantel

I'm thinking about making a rustic timber fireplace mantel, and mounting it to my stone fireplace wall. I've seen a number of examples of this type of idea on the web, but no good articles that discuss how to mount it. Either with or without corbels. I'm just looking for ideas right now. I have found a number of articles that discuss how to mount a mantel shelf, but that won't really apply to a timber beam. Can anyone point me to a good article on this?

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
cbodnar

If you can mortise a french cleat into the back it would be very strong.

Reply to
RayV

Sounds interesting. But I'm wondering how you would make that mortise in the back of a timber? A regular mortise, no problem, it's how you make that upward 45 degree angle that has me guessing.

Thanks

Reply to
cbodnar

Make a regular mortise wide enough for both cleats and clearance for them to pass. Screw one to the wall and one inside the mortise in the timber.

Reply to
RayV