How much weight can a 3/4" of MDF support?

busbus wrote in news:860f61b8-b0ad-45f9-b3ed- snipped-for-privacy@x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Sit on it. Does it deflect badly?

My school issued us 2 drawer dressers that we'd often stack and put our TVs on. One of them would fit your need perfectly.

All you need is a simple 1x4 frame to support a piece of 3/4" plywood. Use 2x4s ripped in half for legs, and call it done. (A few braces on the legs would be a good thing, though.) At 2'x4', that's the basis for a N- trak module. It'll handle the TV easily. (Beware 1/2" plywood. I had some that sagged so easily I had to have supports every 8 inches.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The OP is talking about a Tube TV of 150+ Pounds.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

How about a triangular stand? Make the 'corner' point square. These big old TVs like some support at the back (tube) end, but you don't need to waste space with a square or rectangular stand.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Probably, it has four feet. Those, you have to support well, so put the legs and whatever bracing goes under the tabletop under those four feet.

The tabletop, actually, is only to collect clutter like the remote or a TV guide... shelves well below the TV are more useful than a tabletop.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

crt=cathode ray tube

basilisk