How fine do you sand?

I usually sand to 220 prior to staining. Curious as to what others do.
On 4/1/2019 12:12 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Good enough for me. Never found a reason to go finer.
On 4/1/2019 1:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What am I sanding? If I'm polishing a small desert ironwood turning I might sand to 1200 since it is dense enough that it will polish up like a piece of stone and need nothing but a bit of wax afterward. On the other hand if I'm sanding "regular" furniture wood like cherry or walnut or maple I'd never go past 220 (up to maybe 180 on the ROS) and then a final hand touchup with the finer grit.
On 4/1/2019 11:12 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Never past 180
On 4/1/2019 11:12 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Depends on what am aiming for...for just oil based or the like on casual work or cabinets 180 or 220 is fine.
If really fine furniture polished finish and invested ton of effort already, I've been known to got to 400 on major surfaces, 320 on others.

On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 1:12:18 AM UTC+9, Gramps' shop wrote:

Depends on the wood. Highly figured open grain...400 close grain... 1000, then apply wax.
All the rest 320.
On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 9:02:15 PM UTC-5, aquaboy wrote:

Yes, depends on the project and the wood. I've enjoyed using the cabinet scraper. When it's right, it really creates a nice finishing surface.
On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 10:37:26 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

Yep, depends on the wood and contours, if applicable, plus it may depend on what finish will be used. I often use a cabinet scraper, as well, even on some curved pieces.
I'm making another love seat rocker, with pecan. I'll use a cabinet scraper on some areas, rather than sanding. Progress - some of the rough framing is dry fitted: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/47522028781/in/dateposted-public/
Sonny
On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 9:12:18 AM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:

Well, never 220; I'm usually working with softwoods, or plywood. So, there's a few 60 grit hunks of sandpaper that I use to de-fur router or saw cuts, and maybe some 120 grit to clean marks off the wood. I've even used wire brush at times (exterior stained posts).
If it's GOOD wood, the next step is a cabinet scraper. Maybe a plane. Oil finish is my preference, and I rarely want or expect a glassy smooth surface. Sometimes I'll shellac, and french polish, which is forgiving (and useful for repairs).