how do I get the width I want without a planar?

Hi everyone...

I have a board that is an inch thick and I want to get the board to about half an inch thick. I don't have a planar. Is there a way to fix this problem without one? It's not reasonable to plane away half the width of a board anyway, right?

thanks

Reply to
Ah10201

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m02.aol.com:

Yep, that is how it is done. Now if you have a band saw you could cut the

1 inch board down to 3/4. This gives you enough to plane 1/8th off of each side to get a board that is 1/2. Then you have a piece that is about 3/16 wide to plane down to 1/8 for some veneer.
Reply to
Joe Willmann

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m02.aol.com:

Yep, that is how it is done. Now if you have a band saw you could cut the

1 inch board down to 3/4. This gives you enough to plane 1/8th off of each side to get a board that is 1/2. Then you have a piece that is about 3/16 wide to plane down to 1/8 for some veneer.
Reply to
Joe Willmann

How wide and long is the board? If not too wide you could resaw it on your tablesaw. If you want a workout you could resaw it by hand like they did in the old days. Or if you want a different workout you could plane it down. You could take it to a shop and have them plane it down. You could take it to a shop and have them resaw it on a bandsaw. You could go back where you bought the 1" thick board and buy a 1/2" thick board. You could redesign your plan so it needs a 1" thick board.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Try the neighbors or local schools who might still have an IA program for the proper tools, which would be a planer.

Reply to
George

Responding only to the subject line: The same way you do it with a planer -- you leave the planer turned off and rip your stock to width on the table saw. ;-)

Reply to
alexy

But what if the stock is too narrow? Can you squeeze it to make it wider?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No. Then you use the planer to get the appropriate width/thickness, and build a scale model.

Reply to
alexy

How about using a hand plane? I have a shop full of tools and I still use a hand plane to thickness some boards.

Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM