Hinge problem: desktop style

I have a desktop style lectern for church with a slanted top like the old school desks. It opens up, not down like a secretary :( Wood is 3/4" by 22" wide, so we need good support. There is a flat portion at the top, then it slants down toward the person standing behind. The top part back edge is 90 deg. from the top. The matching edge of the back piece is at 7 deg. off 90 (83 deg.). I want a nice, tight joint with as little hinge showing as possible, and my first plan was a piano hinge, but to swing this way, the standard one will not lay flat when closed.

Anyone done a simple but pretty job without putting the hinges on the top surface? The top parts are above the sides, so I can't use a pin in the end, and anyway, won't the 7 deg. meet interfere?

Thanks a bunch!

Reply to
ktl

Concealed hinges will do the trick - simple to install, too.

hinges aren't designed to take any real load, but three or four of them along the top edge will support the top and help keep it straight.

RicodJour

That looks good and simple. Thanks!

Reply to
ktl