HF ouch

Another reason to be careful at HF
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/05/16/one-heck-of-a-defect-these-chainsaws-may-keep-running-after-theyre-turned-off/?utm_term=.e8dba17d5a2a
On 5/16/2018 11:50 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:

I don't understand one statement in the story: "Unfortunately, owners of these chain saws won’t be getting a refund. Rather, the company is asking people to return their chain saws to their local Harbor Freight Tools stores in exchange for a new one, the statement said."
Why unfortunate? You bought a chainsaw, you get a chainsaw. The author may be one of those people that buy a tool at Home Depot and return it after they use it.
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 12:31:37 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

of-a-defect-these-chainsaws-may-keep-running-after-theyre-turned-off/?utm_t erm=.e8dba17d5a2a

und.

I wonder what the author expects when one of his vehicles is subject to a r ecall. Does he expect to get his money back?
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 8:50:26 AM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:

Thanks for the post. I own one of this "jewels". Going back on Monday.
MJ

Mine is a HomeLite from Princess Auto - so I know for sure that I am perfectly safe .. :-) John T.
On 5/16/2018 10:50 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:

False news.
So when you something off, it turns off.... If the tool continues to run, it is not really turned off, is it?
The reporter/story teller could have more accurately said, the switch does not operate correctly.

False News - the problem might be electrical trickle-leak - causing a muscle-clamp in the trigger finger - preventing release of the perfectly functional switch. So there ! Let's have a Fox vs CNN battle ! ... duh. Ass U Me ? both ? Yep ! John T.
On Wed, 16 May 2018 08:50:23 -0700 (PDT)

just when you think there were enough reasons already
but really the hf stuff seems to be better in many ways than the crap with brand names we used to trust
hf have done an end run around the brands that once were and now with a lot of german tech in china it seems hf is benefitting directly
look at some of the higher end hf lines
there are some tear down videos showing the improvements
but hf will also sell the low price low end stuff as well
their business model is simple make money in all segments of the market space
low price and short life higher price and longer life and points in between
On Wed, 16 May 2018 08:50:23 -0700 (PDT)

used a stihl once that was gas powered and the off switch would not shut it off
only a full choke would make it shut off
the hf saw always shuts off for me
had a harder time with turning it on as the switch is designed in a way that requires a very firm grip for it to go
but for the money it is a good saw and it is light enough to be used with one hand for those hard to reach spots
does not have the gusto of gas but still good for yard work