Chainsaw purchase

I could do with a chainsaw .... have around 150 Leylandi to cut out

The diam of trunk is typically 8" ... a few are larger Thinking I will take first cut at shoulder height (or maybe even standing on a hop-up step) - but not intending to climb tree or use of a ladder. Then do final cut at just above ground level as 2nd cut.

I have a couple of questions - for those that use chainsaws frequently.

Size .... is 18" a suitable size for this job ? if so would aim to get

50cc engines (some are 40cc)

Make .... looking on eBay, plenty of makes to buy - cheap deals on new ones. Thinking of avoiding any 'unknown makes'

Of the following any to avoid or are a particularly useful choice (or any particular models of these makes)

McCulloch Husqvarna Parker Sthil (though price may be too high for this make)

Advice welcome -

Reply to
rick

Get some training. Chainsaws are *dangerous*.

Buy a good set of chainsaw files and learn to use them. Blunt chainsaws are even more dangerous.

Buy a set of ballistic trousers and a hard hat with ear and face protection.

Don't do any cutting on a hop-up. Falling off one with a running chainsaw is dangerous.

[20 lines snipped]

I have a McCulloch. It's a pig to start and I doubt it would stand up to professional use (it's mostly plastic) , but it works well enough for occasional use.

Never heard of them.

Every tree surgeon I've ever employed uses Stihl kit.

Consider getting someone in. Felling trees is dirty, hard, dangerous work.

Reply to
Huge

If you can do it, electric chainsaws are cheaper, safer and more convenient. You will need all the safety kit and info. People get killed/injured using chainsaw.

Reply to
harry

I'll add ... I have used chainsaws many times, and have had a basic chainsaw training course (by MOD) just looking at what to buy.

Reply to
rick

replying to harry, Iggy wrote: Agreed, electric was the best thing I ever did. Just like using a Hedge Trimmer, no problem in getting the stumps down to ground level and nothing to service...including the chain now, I popped on an Oregon Power Sharp.

Reply to
Iggy

That will be a busy afternoon. ;-)

Ok, so not 'big' by any tree standards.

Any reason for that?

I would think so, as would a 16". Basically you have the

Well, if they last for the job and you aren't going to use it again then you could be ok, especially if you get a decent warranty on it?

Could be ok if it lasts the job.

Probably the 2nd choice for many professionals and possibly better than their direct competitors (Sthil) in the case of later / some models.

Never heard of them.

I think Sthil are a bit of 'You won't get fired buying IBM' and everywhere knows them and you will be able to get spares for them easily.

Whatever you get, make sure you don't leave it anywhere unattended (or there is a good chance it will vanish).

If you get a Sthil (or Husky) the chances are it will:

Finish the job without failing.

Still be ready to do more work (like are you snedding / chogging these trees up after felling)?

Still have a good second hand value if you want to sell it once done.

If you keep it and look after it it will probably still be running in years to come. ;-)

If you are happy to not push it too hard (keep it sharp, use the bumper spikes etc) then the little MS171 might do it (bigger would be better of course), depending on your budget.

(Avoid a bigger chain than needed as it's all more work for it to do).

Whereabouts are you Rick (roughly) as you might find a local Arb college would get their students to do them for you for free. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have a Ryobi which is probably about 18 inch. I have several Ryobi devices and reckon the mechanics sits somewhere in the middle between "budget" and Stihl / DeWalt. Did have to replace an oil pump gear on the chainsaw after not a great amount of use.

Reply to
newshound

I was just thinking that, the one time I ever held one it was like some demented gyroscope with vibration. Don't go near one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

For 8in-ish a 12in saw would be adequate. (As an aside, I watched a tree surgeon take a 35ft conifer down recently. He used three different saws, a small one he could hold with one hand at the top, then a medium-sized one as the branches got bigger, and then the big one for the main trunk, which he only used from the ground.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

8" is not very big. I would cut standing on firm ground, and not stretching upwards. Make sure that the tree falls the way you want, perhaps using a rope. I bought a Stihl after my McCulloch gave up.

Most of the trees I have cut have already fallen!

Reply to
Michael Chare

Parker is just a badged Chinese product which you will probably never be able to get spares for McCulloch is apparently a Husqvarna owned brand which are now owned by a Chinese company but if that tree cutting is all you plan doing in the near future get any of them that you could get a refund on if they fail. Sthil is still the best imho

-
Reply to
Mark

Probably larger than you need - a 12" or 14" bar will do it. The shorter bar will be easier to handle and the chains are cheaper.

Any will do the the single job. The Husqvarna is a top end brand along with the Sthil. McCulloch more aimed at the less professional user. No idea about the Parker. Dolmar are also ok (got bought by Makita some time back - but you may still see them under the original brand)

The semi pro Sthil kit is not actually too expensive, and would last well / remain supported for years to come with intermittent use.

I would also recommend FR Jones & Son that someone else linked to - had good service / advice from them in the past.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nobody so far has mentioned hiring one.

I assume that you expect to get much long term use out of it, not just cut down one row of conifers.

My first venture into chainsaws was a hired one. I only bought once I was confident that I had a long term use.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Haven't gone down any further in this thread yet, but having read your [above]: then go buy a Stihl!

Huge's reply is really, really good. You may not need that information, but a lot of others reading this need it.

I personally have down-sized to my sole electric Bosch chainsaw, which is fabulous for the small scale domestic work that I do, and not as intimidating as a bloody petrol engine screaming away in your lughole.

However you have one big job on your hands there, so don't stint, Stihl, is what I'd say.

Now I'll read the rest of the thread ... a favourite topic in this group :-D

J.

Reply to
Another John

*blush* Thank you.
Reply to
Huge

+1
Reply to
fred

My Stihl hedge cutter is very nice to use, smooth, very quiet, but very powerful. (Was recommended here at the time.)

Buying it was a pain in the arse - Stihl won't let their distributors send out by courier - you have to pick up in person, and they require their distributor to run through safety with you. For chain saws, you had to bring your training certificate with you, or you wouldn't be allowed to take it away (although I wasn't buying a chain saw so that didn't apply).

Don't know if they're all as compliant as the ones around me, and this was probably ~10 years ago).

and will be able to chip the felled trees and drive them away.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I got one of their "kombi" motor units to replace my second crap ryobi (you can just about get the ryobi and husqvarna accessories to fit it). That has been exceptionally good. Easy to start, light, powerful, great fuel economy, and will run in any position or angle.

The place I recommended elsewhere in the thread, claim on their web site that this is what they have send one of their staff to deliver it in person so they can do the "training". Then it turns up by courier ;-)

Yup something to be said for that... might be pricey for 100+ trees though.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you have an ounce of common sense - so basically its not for remoaners - chainsaw safety is intelligent common sense plus a bit of kit, though I never bothered. The salient points are all there on you tube videos and online articles.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If its a one off job and is within extension lead reach of mains electricity go electric. Cheap electric chainsaws are more reliable than cheap IC engines ones.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike