Herman Miller furniture

I'd never heard of it until a customer wanted me to make a desk to go along with a Herman Miller piece they've owned since the 1950's. It's pretty cool stuff and not very difficult to make. Some Herman Miller furniture is collectable I've heard. If you'd like to see the small artist's tabouret she showed me, go to:

BUB 209

Yes it is...

Yes it is...

Reply to
patrick conroy

Reply to
Richard Clements

If you have a high-end cubefarm, then yes.

They make it just down the road from me (Bath and Chippenham). Cycling along the river path into Bath you ride past the air outlet from their dust collector. Quite pleasant in Winter, as it's a warm blast even from thirty feet away. The smell of crispy MDF reminds me that I could be at home with my own router too, not cycling to work.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Love my Herman Miller Aero chair. Comfy and, er, ventilated, y'see.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Also known as a fart-through chair.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yes; our part of the cube-farm is known as the 'aisle of flatulance', and not for unfair reasons, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

LOL!!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Reply to
Richard Clements

Dad had this chair. Bought it maybe 35-40 years ago. It was strange on my first visit to NY to the Museum of Modern Art, as a kid -- I turned a corner and there was my Dad's chair. "Hey, what's that doing here?" I just thought it was a weird looking chair, not one by some famous designer. The only designer furniture in our house. Don't know how much it cost new, but it is now worth about $2k, as is, even though (or because) it has the original leather, which is cracked. That bent ply was a big deal back then, and my Dad's is the original version in rosewood. I never liked its look or for sitting, though my Dad loved it as much as Archie Bunker loved his (though Dad was not as territorial about his). It is now on perpetual rotation between the siblings -- all but me. I got the tools -- just hand tools, and a vise, but that's what I wanted. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

I hated the Aeron. Borrowed one for a week, didn't get on with it at all. Of course, that was probably because I hadn't had one ordered to fit, I was borrowing a woman's, and I hadn't been on the training course for how to adjust it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't get me started on the Aeron. It looked cool, but it was about the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. I found it literally painful to sit in for more than a few minutes.

The company I used to work for thought they were doing a nice thing for everybody by buying all new chairs for everybody (Aeron, of course). I scrambled to snag one of the old ones for my office.

What an amazing piece of marketing to convince the entire corporate world that such a disasterous piece of ergonomic engineering was the cool "had to have" thing of the decade.

Reply to
Roy Smith

One of the things I like most about that piece (the one on my website) is that it will be fairly easy to make something compatible - a little 16-ply Baltic Birch, a little thumbing through McMaster-Carr for the metal parts, and I'll borrow my buddy's box joint jig. And get rid of those black formica scraps in the shop.

Reply to
BUB 209

Ah yes, the adjustments. We have one joker in the office who likes to mis-adjust the chairs of others. He has, er, been cured of that. But once it's just right, man...it doesn't get any better. As someone else said here, though, they're beastlyexpensive. If they weren't, I'd ave one at home.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Too bad. Once you learn how to use 'em, they're fantastic. There's only (thinks) 9 or 10 adjustments, after all. Wait, 12.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I want a chair, not a hobby.

Reply to
Roy Smith

One problem with Aerons is that they're _not_ adjustable. Some of the parts (mainly the width) are fitted by interchanging the parts when they're ordered. Once you've got it, you're stuck with it.

OTOH, I've not yet seen an Aeron that has collapsed due to Fat Geek syndrome. Working in large IT offices, some of the people with 64-bit backsides can break lesser chairs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Even though I knew where you were going when I saw "64-bit" at the end of the line, I still LOL when I turned the corner to the last line. As someone who started out with 8 bit words in FORTRAN (and even used 4-bit half words to save space), for me 32-bit seems large and a

64-bit anything will always seem huge. -- Igor
Reply to
igor

I went in the opposite direction: first machine I worked on was a 60-bit CDC, then a 36-bit DEC20, followed by 32-bit "supermicros", and finally a 16-bit PC. We've turned around and worked our way back up from there :-)

Reply to
GregP

Yeah, the seat bottom part is more contoured than other chairs, so I can see how if you're about 7" wider than me in that dimension, it'd be uncomfortable.

We've got more than a couple 128-bit backsides here. Wisconsin, y'know.

Reply to
Dave Hinz