Help with bench grinder

I am stuck and need some guidance or directions. I have an 8" bench grinder and I need to change the grinding wheel. I have had no success in getting the nut off the shaft in order to remove the old wheel (still usable, I just want to have to grits on the unit). Any suggestions on how to loosen the nut without damaging the grinding wheel? I have no idea of manufacturer nor do I have any type of instruction manual. Bought from Woodcraft about 5-8 years ago. Thanks in advance. Ken

Reply to
Ken Nuzum

Left hand thread?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Most have a left hand thread...is that doesnt work this is always oil...

Randy

randyswoodshoop

Liquid Wrench and most likely left hand thread. Two small blocks off wood in a c-clamp should hold the wheel without damage if the nut is on that tight.

Reply to
asmurff

On one side, right?

ok.. substitute "correct" for "right"... lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Where oil doesn't work, there's PB Blaster!

Reply to
B A R R Y

A strap wrench like this one from Sears

the perimeter of the wheel should help.

Reply to
Bob Kirkpatrick

Once you are CERTAIN of the thread (right or left), use an impact wrench on the miminum torque setting. If you don't have shop air, perhaps you can borrow an electric or cordless model or, take the entire unit to an auto shop and slide the mechanic $10 or so to take it off for you. REMIND him to use his smallest impact on the low torque setting. Impact wrenches are really handy to have around the shop, even for non-automotive work so you might just go get a cheapie for $25 - 30. A cheap Harbor Freight unit would be perfect for this because they don't have much torque. I'll get flamed for this, but it's okay to use a standard socket (for this operation only). You don't have to get an impact socket.

Read the following if you are not experienced with impact wrenches. They can be very powerful and can break stuff even as big as lug studs on trucks. They need to be used carefully for small work.

Most wrenches have multiple torque settings. Start with the lowest and give the trigger a very brief pull. It will probably come right off. If it doesn't, try the 2nd lowest setting. If it still doesn't come off, RE-VERIFY the thread (right or left) and increase the torque again. I really doubt you'll get to this point. In any case, if it doesn't come loose, keep trying in short bursts, and maybe apply some penetrating lubricant before trying again. Do NOT use the impact to put the nut back on.

Good luck, Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Well first keep in mind that to loosen a nut that attaches something that spins you loosen in the same direction that the nut/wheel spins. The holds true with most every except vehicle wheels although earlier Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge products used this technique on their vehicles for some time. Looking at the grinder, the left side wheel nut loosens by turning clock wise. Loosen the right side wheel nut by turning the nut counter clock wise.

Reply to
Leon

On the left side, right hand thread the right side.

Reply to
Leon

Most have a left hand thread...is that doesnt work this is always oil...

Most with 2 wheels have left and right hand threads depending on the side you are working on.

Reply to
Leon