Help-Planning an Energy Efficient Shop

I'm in the planning stages to build a decent workshop and thought I'd ask if anyone knows where I can obtain info on building one that is relatively energy efficient from a heating / cooling standpoint. I don't make scrap (ha) so, while, I'll probably have a wood stove in it.. I'd really like to have a well thought out insulation plan.. like radiant floors heated by solar heated water to be used both for the sink and heating. Latest in insulation, etc.

I'm up in the air about whether to go with a metal building or wood.. I like the thought of low maintenance on a metal building... but the "warmth" of a wood building.

Any thoughts appreciated. I don't know if the govt puts out any pubs on this or not.

Regards, Bill

Reply to
WeeWilly

One of the most energy efficient ways to build is using Insulating Concrete Forms (ICF) There are many systems and you can do it yourself.

They are very noise proof, have withstood tornados, and cut heating by about

50%
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A lot of how you approach this will be based on where you are located.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew, Northern Calif.. inland.. Climate wise.. let's say Sacramento.. close enough. I saw a program on DIY where this architect hired a specialized architectural company to design/build his home. I thought they had some pretty great ideas.. but can't locate it. I'd also like to incorporate some of these ideas into my future home... but a steel building would not be considered for that ;-o

Bill, Healdsburg, CA

WeeWilly