heat for garage/shop?

I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

Why does propane smell? Al that should be coming out of it is water and CO2. The water part has its own problems, though, particularly if it's not continually heated.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Mon, 12 Nov 2018 21:56:05 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Don't forget the "oderizer" added to propane so you can smell if there is a leak.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 21:16:53 -0800, pyotr filipivich

If you can smell the mercaptan, there *is* a leak. If the burner is working properly, there is no smell. I have propane logs in my living room and a propane cook top. Neither stink.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Tue, 13 Nov 2018 21:08:40 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    It has been a while since I had the heater going inside the shop. Right now, things are cluttered enough, I'm not sure I want any kind of flame going. B-) So I can't say if there is some other kind of smell resulting from burning propane.     My other issue is the noise, but between freezing and not being able to hear the radio "How do you like your coffee?"

--
pyotr filipivich
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 22:54:43 -0800, pyotr filipivich

My experience with propane powered cars is if they run rich they stink and if they run lean enough to misfire they stink worse. Set up properly there is virtually no stink. Your burner is likely running "orange" instead of blue-white.
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Hard to say. It is one of the Mr Heater" dual purpose (heat or cook). sorts, with a ceramic fireplace thing behind the meshwork, if I remember right.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 22:54:43 -0800, pyotr filipivich

The stink could also be burning dust. If so, it should go away soon enough.

Noise? Wood makes a lot more noise than propane. OTOH, an open flame may not be such a good idea in a shop.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:52:26 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    In a ten by twelve shop (9.5 by 11.5 with the insulation) there isn't room for more than me and the cat. A wood stove is not an option, right now. I bundle up and she has a fur coat (and heated pad for sleeping on.)
    Sigh. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have the shop in a different place, and ....
--
pyotr filipivich
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 07:31:02 -0800, pyotr filipivich

I didn't mean to suggest wood, just that propane is quieter than wood (which isn't deafening). Both have the problem of open flame, which probably isn't good where there's a lot of flammable dust.

I've had a couple of do-overs. My previous house had my shop split between the garage and the attic. It was a good workout but not very efficient. I have >2000 ft^2 of unfinished walk-out basement in this house. I learn from my mistakes. ;-)
Burning mold or sawdust or lint dust with chemicals (cleaning, relaxing) all cause issues.
On 11/14/2018 7:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:52:26 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    This burner "roars" when running. I makes more noise than I ever heard out of a wood stove.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 19:23:33 -0800, pyotr filipivich

The "salamander" type jet heaters ARE noisy and DANGEROUS. AKA "construction heaters"
On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 19:23:33 -0800, pyotr filipivich

Propane? I've heard noisy kerosene heaters (salamanders) but I can't imagine why a propane heater would have to be noisy. I guess anything's possible but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

"roars"?

https://youtu.be/zEArFOV3LnY

https://youtu.be/zEArFOV3LnY

https://youtu.be/qEyygtCZAN4?t54

https://youtu.be/qEyygtCZAN4?t54

https://youtu.be/OFUDYnD6Qwc?t24

https://youtu.be/OFUDYnD6Qwc?t24

https://youtu.be/bw2Z2C2UTBA?t

https://youtu.be/bw2Z2C2UTBA?t
1
yea, I'd say that's an accurate description.
+0000 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    What I have is along these lines: https://www.equipsupply.com/mr-heater-single-tank-top-heater-cooker-ene-mh15c
    Works real well to make coffee and take the chill off "the shack".
    It is that "make coffee"feature I snagged it for.
--
pyotr filipivich
On 11/12/18 8:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:

I use an electric radiator heater that is 120v and it works well in an non-insulated 2-car garage. It's not going to get it 80 degrees in 20 minutes like my kerosene heater does, but once it's warm, it'll keep it there.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/12/2018 9:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:

Are you planning to stay in-place for some period of time? If so, it might be cost-effective to have a 240V service installed. It opens up all sorts of possibilities beyond heating. I have a 4kW ceiling-mount heater installed in my shop/garage and it does a great job of keeping everything comfortable. I was lucky enough to be able to excavate in the ceiling of the room next door and revive a 45A 240V circuit that was there to serve the long-gone ceiling heat system but had it not been there I would have been glad to run new wires just for the heater.

How about a small furnace? An RV or motorhome furnace, or even a mobile home furnace - faiurly compact forced air externally vented so you don't smell the propane or natural gas odorants. Even an oil furnace.