Help: Nail gun suggestion

I'm looking for a nail gun to shoot 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" nails to make a bunch of crates. I see a lot of guns for brads, but I want the head on the nail. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

palm nailer

of course test first to get depth right

if you never tried one you will wonder why if you do try one

hf has them for 20 bucks

Reply to
Electric Comet

Take a look at a narrow crown stapler. That's about the only thing that I can think of that will give you a "head" and be in the proper size range. Framing nailers would be way too big both in diameter and length as they start,IIRC, at 2".

Look at crates and see how they are assembled. Chances are good you'll see narrow crown staples used.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Perhaps a stapler. Or a framing nail gun. The stapler would probably work best, you don't need a honking gun go shoot staples.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks, everyone! The palm nailer looks like a lot of fun. I'm going to try it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

They're often not the panacea they appear to be, unfortunately, especially with 16d fasteners.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Palm mailers work pretty well but just marginally faster than a hammer.

Reply to
Leon

Or a roofing nailer - with the nails in coils. Smaller than the honking 3" nailer. Not sure if the nails can be gotten in the size he wants.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Roofing nails have a big honking head, not the best for wood to wood. A siding/fencing nailer might work. Unless there is an aesthetic reason for rejecting staples, they'd be my choice for this application.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, that's true. They're not for speed, they're for tight places.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Pretty darn good for Simpson hangers.

Reply to
Leon

I was thinking the same thing... 3-4 penny nails typically take a tap and a whack with a hammer to sink... One fall I drove thousands of 4d common nails while building trusses for the top and sides of a gambrel roof. Even those

4d seldom took more than a tap and a whack or two.

With the palm nailer I've used it was a PITA to use short nails in some situations... with crates they can probably be positioned such as to avoid that issue.

Not sure how to define "bunch" of crates in regards to volume, but if it is say 100 or more I'd get a good nailer. Bostich has both coil and strip nailers that will handle 1 1/2" nails. The coil nailers requires fewer reloads...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"John Grossbohlin" on Sat, 6 Jan 2018 17:29:31 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Always a good thing - unless you're looking for an excuse to get coffee, have a smoke, skate. B-)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 06 Jan 2018 09:37:16 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

As someone else just observed - they do make nailers for 1-1/4" nails. Or staples.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A palm nailer would be my last choice. I'd think a hammer would be faster, considering that the crate can be positioned in the best position.

Yes, but reloads take longer than they do with strips. There are a lot of finishing nails or staples on a strip and reloading is a snap.

Reply to
krw

Yes, I have a PC finish nailer that will use up to 1-3/4" nails, IIRC. Something like this one:

They wouldn't pull through and are available in this sort of length, too.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

they are fun and everything will look like a nail to borrow that old adage

thinking nails might not be the best way for crates but it depends

screws might be the better choice

depends on the usage for the crates

if they are a one time use crate for shipping nails are fine but for multiple uses nails not so good

Reply to
Electric Comet

Don't see my earlier reply. I have two round head framing nailers that easily shoot smaller ring nails. Since I have them, that's what I would use.

Reply to
Bob La Londe