Rigid 18V Nail Gun - Battery Question

I need to trim out a few windows and install some base molding. I found a Certified Factory Reconditioned Ridgid ZRR09890B HYPERDRIVE 18-Volt 18-Gauge 2-1/8 in. Brushless Brad Nailer for $159.

Assuming that I can get away with an 18g nailer, I want to make sure that my Rigid batteries will work. I have the batteries shown here, which are rated at 1.5Ah:

Those batteries will work right? They may not last long, but I have 2 and I'm not going pro with this tool.

I open to suggestions for other nailer options, but I'm not looking to drop hundreds on a tool that will see very little use. I have crappy 100PSI compressor, but nothing more than the curly hose that came with it.

Thoughts?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have the same Ridgid batteries for several drill/drivers and I recently bought their battery brad nailer on a whim for a quick job in a restaurant in which the owner didn't want a compressor running or a long air hose in the place.

It worked with my batteries (all Ridgid battery tools and batts are compatible) and I was very pleased with the cordless brad nailer. I'm keeping it because I get many jobs where I only need to pull and replace a few feet of trim and it's a real PITA to lug the compressor and hoses up and down stairs to shoot a half-dozen nails.

The Ridgid nailer works very well and I wish I'd gotten one years ago.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah, I remember your post. [Been thinking about that chisel sharpener ever since ;-)]

So, 18g is good size? Some things I read said if you were going to own one nailer, an 18g is a good "all-around" choice. Other places say 18g is too small for trim work, 16g is better.

(I'm sure this thread was going to head in that direction anyway, so I'll take it there now.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Those batteries will work right? They may not last long, but I have

Having shot literally thousands of feet of trim with 16g nails and just recently moved to 18g, I can honestly say that 16g is overkill in many cases. Plus, the 18g nail-head leaves a much smaller hole to be filled.

But I'm not trading in my 16g nailers any time soon. There is a time and place for both. Many modern trims are very flexible and can be held securely with 18s. But if I'm shooting poplar or thicker trim to a ceiling, I'm sticking with 16g.

I'll stick with both sizes and use each accordingly, but I'm very pleased with the 16s coming out of the Ridgid for their intended purposes.

Reply to
-MIKE-

100 psi is likely plenty for a HF finish nailer an a whole lot less expensive. I would go that route.
Reply to
Leon

A HF nailer might go well with my HF compressor. ;-)

They have a 3-in-1 16g/18g/18g staple for $90. Might be worth a try for this job. Easily returnable if it sucks. Plus it features "Economical air consumption".

(I need to use long nails. My walls are 3/4" thick. 3/8" plaster over 3/8" gypsum board) The original nails for the window trim were 2.5" where they nailed the edge that overlaps the plaster)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Those batteries will work right? They may not last long, but I have 2 and

Not necessarily. That wall configuration is a candidate for "X" nailing. Shoot nails at 45° angles, closely spaced, and it should hold fine.

In any case, most nail guns will shoot 2-1/2" brads which should eat enough stud to hold trim. 3/4" + 1/2" trim leaves plenty of nail in the stud/sole plate.

Reply to
-MIKE-

205690161

The HF 16 gaugers do "1-1/4 in. to 2-1/2 in. finishing nails", the 18 gauge rs do "5/8 in. to 2 in. brad nails"

Since the 3-in-1 does both 16g and 18g, that might work.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I assume 3 in 1 means that it shoots nails also. You don't want to use staples given the size of divot they make that would need to be puttied over.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed, but I read it the other way around. 3-in-1 means it shoots staples also.

16g finish nails 18g brad nails 18g staples

I'd call it a mailer that also shoots staples. Tomato-Tomato

That doesn't work as well when typed vs. spoken. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "You suck" but...

I bought the HF 3-in-1 nailer yesterday. $70 after coupon. Came home to test it and the regulator knob on my POS HF 100 PSI 2 gallon compressor came off in my hand. (Is it really a POS if it lasted 25 years or is it a POS that lasted 25 years? Not sure.)

Anyway, Lowes has PC 150 PSI 6-Gallon compressor for $99, so my plan was to go this morning and grab one. Then I looked on Offer Up.

Same compressor, 18g gun, 16g gun, 20' hose, new in box. Asking $140. You know the guy will take $120, so I used my standard "negotiating" tactic. "Look, I'll offer you $100, we'll settle on $120 and eliminate the back and forth, OK?" Done.

I just tested it and everything seems to work fine:

I'll tell myself that I got the 2 guns and the hose for $20.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Definitely a great deal, especially with low mileage.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Pretty good deal, I think. FWIW, I have had great luck with HF's larger co mpressors. I have absolutely used the crap out of my 2hp 8 gallon purchase of over 10 years ago. It was $99 buck then, and on occasion it is still $

  1. I don't have much use for Porter Cable tools these days. BUT... I have a PC brad gun that is great. Never jams, shoots all brands of brads equally, a nd consistently shoots the nails just sub flush. My roofing nailer isn' mu ch good for roofing, but does a good job on insulation and small roof repai rs.

One of my subs has a PC compressor exactly as the one you bought and has ha d it for about 3 years. Runs flawlessly, doesn't blow breakers, and keeps up nicely with two guns if not overloaded, and it can keep up with any one gun we have including my framers.

I would say out of the PC stable, you get the best if their offerings! Put 'em to work!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41