small-leaved linden

How close to the stem do you cut branches on a small-leaved linden or "Tilia cordata"?

Right now it is mostly about getting the downmost smaller branches away so people don't get them in their heads when working. But might as well do it the right well as it is probably just as easy.

Feel free to point at any other secrets of the trade/tree tho...

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Might want to check with a gardening news group.

Reply to
Leon

Well, do you know one?

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

rec.gardens is still active

rec.gardens.edible

John T.

Reply to
hubops

There is a ring-like tissue, on the limb (look close for it), near where the limb meets the trunk. Don't cut that tissue. Cut just distal (outside) of that tissue. That tissue helps repair the cut.

If you cut that tissue, the tree won't repair itself correctly... and sometimes, when it's cut too close to the trunk, there is no repair at all.... it starts rotting, rather than repair or scar over the cut site.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Page down to the third pic, labeled 1, 2 & 3. You can see the repairing tissue just proximal to the #3 slash mark, hence the cut will be just distal of that tissue.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

No.

Reply to
Leon

That was good information. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Reply to
G Ross

Nice link. Not just how to do it right, but actual examples of what happens when you do it wrong. Not a lot of room for conjecture when you cover both sides.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Also, on this site, scroll down to "Further Information", there is the video "Trimming Limbs". They refer to the healing tissue as the collar. That's a better term, than my tissue term.

Also, they make note that you don't have to paint a sealant over the cut site. Painting a sealant, over the cut, may trap disease or insect issues inside the cut area.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

you are pruning because you are growing for lumber or for people nearby

if you are pruning to grow straight trees there is more to it than pruning

Reply to
Electric Comet

No, it isn't on that level, simply there is a huge tree in the middle of the area and down the stem are little branches that people get in their heads while walking by. So removing them for that and cosmetic reasons BUT not hurting the tree is the plan.

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

OK, so cut close, but not into the collar.

The collar tho is not that easy to spot when the branch is small and you are standing on a ladder :)

Thanks.

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

YW.

For really small branches, it may not matter if you cut through the collar. Really small branches may not matter, so much, for the health of the tr ee. I would take care to fine the collar if the branch is 1/2" or larger. I suppose the bothersome branches are at least 1/2" in diameter.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

1/2" = 0.5 inch = 1.27 cm?

The biggest I've cut so far I'd say were 5-6 cm in diameter. Then there have been many smaller, but I wonder if anyone has been as small as ~1.27 cm...

I'll bring the calipers next time :)

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

No need for calipers. I should have considered your metric measure. For anything the size of your index finger (there abouts) and larger, try to locate the collar.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

How do you know how big his index finger is?

DerbyDad03

That's easy. It's about the size of a branch, where you should find the collar before cutting.

Reply to
krw

My index finger is ~2cm in diameter where it is the largest so somewhat bigger than the 1.27cm mentioned. I suppose that's why it is called a rule of thumb...

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

It wasn't a serious question. It was related to the image I posted.

Reply to
DerbyDad03