Help Me Find A Hinge

I have a client who wants a couple custom baby/dog gates in their home. One of them is at the bottom of a walled staircase and the gate will have to swing around 270° to the other side of the wall.

Here's an illustration of the set-up:

I've seen a lot of 270° hinges for cabinets, but they are all designed to be mounted on a 3/4" cabinet box, while this will have to be mounted on a 5" sheetrock wall end.

Keep in mind that it needs to be somewhat stylish. I'm building the baby gates to match the existing stair rail that is stained wood with white balusters. So something like wrought iron or oiled bronze is what I'm going for.

My first exploration leads me to perhaps consider exterior gate hardware or exterior shutter hinges.

Hinge suggestions, anyone?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Modified strrap hinge, bent so the pivot is in the center of the gate and tangential to the wall corner. I can provide more detail by email if you want (a sketch)

Reply to
clare

I think I see where you're going with this, but go ahead and send a sketch if you'd like. Thanks!

mike @ the domain in my sig below.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Stick with me on this one...

You can submit a picture of a hinge via this website and they will try to identify it and see if they have it in stock. Now, I know that you don't have a hinge to take a picture of, but based on how helpful they were when I needed to match a hinge on a hutch I bought at an antiques dealer, I'll bet that they would be willing to try and find a hinge for your needs.

I traded emails with a guy named Dominick from hardwaresource.com for a cou ple of days before we settled on a set of hinges that would work for me based o n the hinges I had and a description of how it mounted. Maybe he/they can hel p you, even though you don't actually have a hinge, but you do have the drawi ng of the desired application.

I'm not going to post his email address in plain text but I will say this:

Dom is a common nickname for Dominick. Dom works *at* HardwareSource.com

If you want to follow the normal route, you can attach your picture and include a message at the link I posted above.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hilarious. I've already been all over their site and was getting ready to email this pic to them. :-) No kidding.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Great minds and all that! Let us know how it works out.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So, you want a pin-and-eye hinge. Mount pins, centered, to the door, and the eye has to come out of the edge of the wall... get a steel or aluminum ell section, drill/tap for the threaded-rod eye mount.

picture here:

Reply to
whit3rd

The design I have submitted to Mike is very much like a heavy duty storm shutter hinge based roughly on the design of the hinges I made for a flush-fitting overhead hinged door I made for my shed attic (loft door) which I fashioned from a couple of steel angle braces and a few bolts

Reply to
clare

The closest they appear to have would be something called an "270 degree overlay hinge"

Reply to
clare

Got the email and replied. Thanks a bunch! I like your idea and it's definitely a top option for me right now.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Glad to be of help - I can't make use of all my ideas myself, so I'm happy to pass them on .

Reply to
clare

That is similar to the hinges on my last dog gate. The pin part fastened to the wall and the pins fit in holes in the top and bottom rails of the gate. You could lift it off when you didn't need it, if you always wanted it in place you put the top pin upside down into the hole. To make it a 270 hinge, the pin would have to project out from the corner.

Reply to
G Ross

The 'eye' on the depicted unit is not something that can be mortised into the door edge, but the pin is. Mounting the pins to the door is workable, and the eyes are going to have to corner-mount on (apparently) a finished wall, not a post or door jamb. The pivot point for the hinge just has to hang out of that corner, but it's gonna take some carpentry or metal work to make it do so.

Reply to
whit3rd

The Euro Style hinges will do that IIRC. Check the BLUM web site.

Reply to
Leon

They will, but I probably don't want them for a couple reasons.

  1. They mount on a 3/4" surface of wood. I'm dealing with 1/2" of drywall on the studs so the positioning wouldn't work.
  2. I'm trying to use something decorative as opposed to just functional, since it will always be seen.
Reply to
-MIKE-

How about anchoring a board 3/4" x 5" by ?" height on the end of the wall, stylized to the gate. Then attach your hardware to that for a rock solid setup?

Reply to
OFWW

That's my backup plan.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Mounting the hinge on a piece of wood...backup plan. I get it! ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm so good I don't even realize when I pun.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Here's what I went with. It's actually a hinge for shutters.

Not cheap, but super strong, fits the requested styling, and allows for easy "lift off" of the baby gate.

Now, to build this silly thing. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-