Baby/Pet Gates (Hinge Search)

I posted asking for help with a hinge for the Baby/Pet gates I'm building for a client. I found a great hinge and finished the gates. Installation is tomorrow or Monday. I'll post pics of the final installation, but here's a pic of how the gates turned out...

-MIKE-

I posted asking for help with a hinge for the Baby/Pet gates I'm building for a client. I found a great hinge and finished the gates. Installation is tomorrow or Monday. I'll post pics of the final installation, but here's a pic of how the gates turned out...

ps: This may be a double post due to some server issues. Sorry.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I posted asking for help with a hinge for the Baby/Pet gates I'm building for a client. I found a great hinge and finished the gates. Installation is tomorrow or Monday. I'll post pics of the final installation, but here's a pic of how the gates turned out...

ps: This may be a double post due to some server issues. Sorry.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The third spindle from the left on the small gate is off by 1/32" of an inch. You'll need to start over.

(Nice job. Waiting to see them hung.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Looks good! Are they setting on their sides, should the white slats be horizontal?

Reply to
Leon

No, the stats are vertical, like a jail cell. :-) Horizontal balusters form a ladder-- not good for curious toddlers.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Also, the intention is for the gates to be inspired by the staircase handrail which have square, white spindles, closely spaced.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Looking good.

Reply to
OFWW

Actually, horizontal slats are *perfect* for curious toddlers. That's the problem.

It's all a matter of perspective. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nice. I like the contrast.

Third time is a charm. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Did it show up 3x? I don't know. Eternal-September servers are having issues.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Here is the lower gate, installed.

I ended up using a shutter hinge which worked out perfectly, in both function and form. We are still working on the perfect latch for it. You can see the holes in the newel post from the old gate's latch. Those will be filled or plugged.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, once with two copies as replies.

but worth every penny paid. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I can see a latch being a challenge. Anything that mounts on the same side of the post where the existing holes are will mean that the mating part will be on the side of the gate that swing against the wall. Wall damage will ensue.

Anything that mounts on the stair side of the post will mean that the matin g part will mounted on the side of the gate that faces into the hallway. That could pre sent a danger to right-height kids running around or become a clothes-catcher, e tc.

You also want to make sure it's safely accessible from the stair side when the user will be up higher than normal.

What about a rod that goes down into the bottom step when closed and into a hole in the floor when open? That would be easily opened from both sides when cl osed and would prevent gate from swinging partially closed. The rod could on the same plane as the gate and not protrude into any open space.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There will likely be a "stop" put on the wall for when the gate is fully opened. The latching mechanism will likely be on the stairs side of the gate and be a self latching catch. Worst case scenario, some sort of sliding door loop lock that can;t be reached by the child. Any mechanism will be on the baluster side of the post.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I was more focused on the rails and stiles being in opposite than normal locations. Been there Done that.

Reply to
Leon

Are you talking about the widths or something else?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Typically the rails, horizontal side pieces, are situated between the stiles, not on top.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, I get what you're saying now. These ain't cabinet doors, Bubba! (That one's for Karl.) :-)

When I lay out pieces, I go with what looks go to me. One of my favorite parts of the process, too. And like the horizontal lines not being broken up. I also liked the layout that had the stiles and slats all the same length. I just liked those lines.

I also had the hinge straps in mind when thinking about the configuration. I like how it looked being mounted all on the rails.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Rules is rulez... :)

There's a reason for the other way in entry doors and the like as well...as is, the whole weight of the door is on the glue joint hanging in the mortise; the other orientation has the mortise as physical support of the structure.

These are small-enough as to not likely make much difference.

Reply to
dpb