Help: Making Knobs

I need to make a some knobs that will fit a standard door knob spindle. But the knobs have to be flat, no more than 5/8" thick at their thickess point, and anywhere from 1" to 2" in diameter. Since all knobs that fit a standard door knob spindle are actually door knob size, and the smaller knobs(which are not made for the torque involved with turning)only use screws to secure them anyway, I was thinking that perhaps what I need can be made it out of wood.

Can anyone tell me if this can be done without having to purchase "major" machinery. And what would be the best wood to use?(Or perhaps I should just go with some sort of plastic. ie: Nylon or Delrin).

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Darren Harris

Seems that a hole saw would work to cut the knob provided the center hole is smaller than the spindle. Then using a tiny chisel just square up the hole to fit. You may need to reinforce the hole with thin brass plates. Or perhaps just epoxy them onto the spindle.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Depends on your willingness to play and how much you want to spend. A hole saw ill make them and some sandpaper will make them usable. A lathe will make them also and be more fun, but it'll cost more. HF has their 14X40 on sale for about $75, throw in the $30 toolset and you're set up for just over $100. 'Course the hole saw won't take up as much room or time.... Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Excellent idea. Thanks a lot.

I already have the needed equipment, so this should be a breeze.

Darren Island Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Darren Harris