Help identifying a Stanley level?

We picked up a Stanley Sweetheart No. 13 level today at a yard sale. It is

26" long. The center horizontal bubble is missing (was it ever there?). There are two vertical bubbles. There are no patent dates on the brass. There are brass end corner caps, but not across the entire end.

I can't find a similar level on eBay or anywhere else, and certainly not to a No. 13.

Anyone know anything about this level, age, etc., or where I can learn about it?

And, yes, I have Googled it.

This is really on the level.

George

Reply to
george

george

Did you pay more than $.50 for it? I hope not.

Reply to
CW

Per Walter's book:

13 "Victor" Carpenter's Adjustable Plumb & Level 1911 to 1938

Sweetheart logo would be 1920 to 1935 approx.

It would have had a center bubble.

probably worth less than $5.00

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

$5-??? Ouch! I have the same level here, it's not much chop for fine cabinetry but for fencing and noggin-work in house framing it's ideal; I still use it.

Heck, 'tis even adjustable, which is more than can be said for the cheap'n'nasty plastic & alum. Stanley I bought recently at 10x that $5- and relegated to the back shed with other "junk" tools...

- Andy

Reply to
Andy McArdle

Oh come on ! Any working level is worth > $5. Even if you have to put a new bubble in it, you can still get a useful tool out of it.

My refs say there are 3 different "Stanley #13" levels. The common "Victor" has no collector value, but there's another one that does.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
george

I don't really know - levels aren't my thing, and the Stanley list I have simply lists them.

There's a "Nicholson's Patent" level (also a Stanley #13) but that's cast iron (AFAIK). The Victor is described as an "adjustable" level, the earlier and more valuable version ($150 estimated price for good condition) is just a "carpenter's plumb & level" and presumably not easily adjusted.

Might be worth investigating further before using it as a dog chew.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy D> Oh come on ! Any working level is worth > $5. Even if you have to put

2003 Walter's pocket guide pgs 20 & 21, $150-300 for the Carpenter's Plumb & Level, $5-50 for the Victor adj model. As ALWAYS, condition and location count for more than anything else unless you can find a YB who wants to outfit his mantle. Good condition and ready to be used, my guess would be $25-30 is reasonable.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

But neither of the other two would have had a SW logo, as they were both made only in the 19th century.

The low-end for a complete example in Walters was $5. Without the bubble, well, caveat emptor.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

With a SW logo, it must be the victor adj. Without the center vial, the value is diminished to the low end of the scale.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal